1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Magnetic filter on new build?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Paulj48, 18 May 2021.

1. Paulj48

Paulj48

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've recently moved into a new build house with an Ideal Logic combo ESP1 boiler with the heating piped throughout in plastic 10mm. There is no magnetic filter fitted, is this an issue or are they only fitted on older systems?

It would be hard to retro fit one as all the plumbing (including under the boiler) is behind dry lining.
    Cheers.

2. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They certainly aren't fitted to new builds, which are built at the lowest possible cost to the developer. It makes no financial sense for them to for a filter to a boiler & system that only carries a 2 year warranty anyway. If it fills with sludge and breaks down in its 25th month, it's not their problem

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Paulj48

Paulj48

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So from that response do I get the impression that its recommended to have one fitted?

Is it common for a brand new system to get filled with sludge within 25 months?

5. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The water passages in modern boilers are much smaller than they used to be, so they are easily blocked with rust from radiators on the inside. Putting inhibitor in the system helps, but a magnetic filter is obviously still well worth having, even on a new system. Can you even be sure the penny pinching installers actually fitted inhibitor?

It protects both the boiler and the radiators from rusting out. My rads are near 40 years old, always maintained by me, always with inhibitor and no leaks.

6. Sponsored Links