Magnetic filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick show of hands please.
Magnaclean
or
Fernox boiler buddy?

I've fitted a few magnacleans and they are great. the Fernox one looks better but is it less easy to dissasemble? Looks it.

Sponsored Links
Likewise I'm impressed with the Magnaclean, complete with isolating valves and plastic magnet sheath. I thought BB would be better suited to 28mm pipe as standard pump valves are (not included) needed, but they say 22mm is the max pipework it should be fitted to because of flow resistance. The magnaclean is also more flexible in its location choices, and certainly easier to clean.

I bought the Magnaclean powerflush adapter and this appears an excellent addition to the armoury.

Yeah I got one of them too. saves time and customers love that they can see thier money is being well spent.

Sponsored Links
I have used both, the boiler buddy is less handy for future maintenance and probably impossible for customers to remove for themselves, because you fit it with pump valves. How many customers do you know that could change their own pump? Same sort of job.

I don't imagine there is much difference in viability.

I spent 8 hours day before yesterday with customers help powerflushing each rad outside using chemical for each. Then half of the installation day powerflushing again each rad for 5 mins using chemical via pipework to make sure pipework is flushed also.

Since customer is super nervous (long story old gas boiler wrecked with sludge has cost him fortune for repairs but nobody suggested a powerflush until Vokera man told him the problem) I tried to get a magnaclean but even though I have them on order with a few local merchants Scarborough is completely out of them. Customer got the Fernox one from Malton.

So new boiler is off to a good chance with beautifully cleansed system and boiler bud. As of late last night boiler bud hadn't trapped anything...

Rads are well hot, customer well pleased, excepting fact that new boiler pressure guage not registering and has leak from condense syphon trap (not our connection, another superfluous one which isn't required). Just my luck, never known a pressure guage to fail from new, but most nervous customer in Scarborough, and rightly so, and I get two commissioning fualts.

Good news is the manufacturer is coming today (same day and on a Saturday).

I'd have fixed the condense trap myself but since they have to come out for the pressure guage let them fiddle with it, serve them right for stuffing it into a tight corner!

The valves on the magnaclean look like they should be better than cheap pump vlaves.
Not sure I like having the crud visible inside the boiler buddy - customers will be very sensitive to seeing it

BB would make a neater in-line fixture though.

It would be handy if the fittings on the magnaclean were 3/4" thread - for future flushing.

Fitted my first Magnaclean today. Well impressed with it. Lady customer had the cleaning operation sussed after being shown only once.
Paul...I had problems obtaining one through local merchants, finally used BES. A bit dearer but it was with me next day.

My local merchants know I use them but I must be the only one. I have my own stock of combi mates on their shelves I got them to order ten to get me 1 for free, they have my own section on the shelf. Might have to make a similar arrangement for magnaclean.

You can mail order them off the net also, but I try to keep my mail order down as I have enough problems with neighbours askiung me when I'm goiing to get a builders yard, have to try and keep the profile down.....

When I was down south I ran a business renting washing machines to folk all over London. Council shut me down overnight on the say so of a neighbour I didn't get to find out who it was. Basically if your home shows any evidence of being used for storage or anything in relation to your business you can be made to stop doing it, afgter complaints have been anonamously filed. You just get a knock on the door and that's your lot.

Took apart a BB in merchants today. I don't think a customer could be expected to do it. It's a lot fiddlier than Magnaclean.

Just ordered the Magnaclean powerflush unit. Anyone used these before when powerflushing?

Have not used magnaclean yet .Have had a boiler buddy off a fernox rep but not had the oppertunity to use it .I have been using spirovent I believe these are a bit cheaper but they are brass so you cannot see the sludge ,very robust though.

I got one of the magnaclean powerflsuh ones. They are the dogs. Customers love to see how much good the job is doing.

ChrisRoberts said:
I got one of the magnaclean powerflush ones. They are the dogs. Customers love to see how much good the job is doing.
That's strange, most of mine rush for the old sheets and towels when I wander over the cream lounge carpet to show them what it's just caught :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back