Magnetic tile access panel fixings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm tiling my WC and need.to make an access panel for the plumbing:

IMG_20180524_160414981.jpg

After some thought I think the best thing will be one large panel with holes for the flush pipe and waste that can just come forward to be removed. The tiles are 600x300x9mm and it will be 3 and a bit tiles tall. The plan is to place a piece of 6mm tile board in place and tile it to form the panel. I was going to screw the panel to the timber frame and "hide" the screws with screw caps - probably not pretty - until I saw the magnetic fixings on eBay.

Will they work? How many would I need? I know it will be quite heavy but it will sit on the floor so it's only to hold it against the frame. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's an option, and I have got loads of tiles but I'm not a regular tiler and I think if I have a problem in say 4 years I'd have to buy in a bag of adhesive, a bag of matching coloured grout and re-board it and re-tile it (and to be honest I struggle a bit with tiling).

I've sent for some magnets so I'll see how it goes!

With hindsight (and I've got one for the new ensuite which is the next job) I should have used one of those one piece cisterns (the one I've got for the ensuite is a Roca) that you access from the flush plate.

Sponsored Links
Double sided velcro on ours (framed behind bath side first).

Don't use loads as it's hard work pulling it back off!, just be mindfull as it adds approx 5mm to the height of the panel..

How about a Gerberit cistern? They are designed to be boxed in with all serviceable parts accessible through the flush plate. Fit and forget.

Yes, I only discovered the geberit type after I'd done it but have one for the upstairs (it's a Roca but essentially the same). I've got the magnets now so I'll report back on how it goes.

We'll, the magnets were a waste of time, no way they'd hold a large panel in place. At the moment it's just wedged in there and is quite solid with the WC helping it to stay in position. If necessary I'll screw it to the timber frame and disguise the screws with caps.

IMG_20180607_144245471.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back