Creating a totally invsible access panel in floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need a small access panel in my tiled floor. (not yet laid).

I really do not want to have a large tiled manhole cover in my kitchen floor. In fact, I dont want to see anything.

So my thinking goes that

1. I make an access door in the under tile ply wood and make sure the door is screwed firmly in place.
2.The tile that covers the access hatch, i do not use any adhesive. (Maybe some sand? to keep the level consistent with the other tiles)
3.Then I grout all tiles as normal.

For access, I remove the grout on just my one special tile, lift the tile using a suction cup, exposing the plywood hatch below which I can unscrew to open.

The tile in question will receive little if any footfall so the grout should be sufficient to hold it in place. (I think!!)

Will this work? Any better solutions? What could possible go wrong?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
How often are you really going to need access? If not often at all then I would be tempted to fix it in place a keep a load of spares.

once a year when the boiler is serviced. The new boiler regs say that all flume joints must have access and the boiler man wont sign off unless he can see the joints. One of them will be under one tile in the kitchen floor.

Removing grout with a bosch MX25e and replacing it is pretty quick.

If the tile is stuck down, then it starts becoming a real pain.

Can you think of an filler that will do the job of the adhesive but not stick? or perhaps stick badly

It needs to keep its shape and not compress over time. But after a gentle nudge will release the tile.

Sponsored Links
can you not use a coloured silicone so it matches the rest and when you need to get to it cut it out.

If I use grout, then the tile hatch will be invisible and removing grout and replacing it is quite quick if you have the right tools.

Silicone is much more of a pain to remove entirely and I will notice the colour differential which will annoy me.

The issue is the tile moving around as I don't want to stick it down. Will the grout hold it in place. Will the tile crack if it gets any weight?

I will need to lay the tile on a bed of somthing to raise it to the level of the other tiles. Sand ? Non adhesive filler? Cardboard? Is this a stupid idea? - probably...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back