Magpies destroying silicone/mastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, has anyone come across a solution to stop magpies destroying mastic? I have sliding patio doors in my kitchen and noticed strips of silicone being gouged out where the frame at the bottom of the doors meets my slabs. I've redone the sections about 4 times now and saw the culprit there this morning. Driving me mad! Seems to be a common problem when I googled it.

Sponsored Links
Maybe hang some cd’s up by it? Apparently they don’t like the way light reflects.

Unbelievably they've attacked the fresh stuff I put down this morning. Going to try homemade bird repellent recipe I found on Google of garlic oil.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi Emma, it’s a real bore this one but you could get better results if you could paint the mastic strip.....
A tough paint such as Hammerite may give a result!
John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, never thought of that. I'll try anything! I might try just doing the smallest bead possible just to cover the slight gap between frame & slabs so there's not so much for the little beggars to pick at.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back