Main earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm new to the Forum and could search the archive but need an answer quickly - please.
I'm having a major refurb. of my kitchen which involves moving all the plumbing. I understand that current regulations require main earth bonding from the point at which the water supply enters the property back to the consumer unit. I have two questions:
1 Am I correct in thinking that the earth cable needs to be 10mm or will 6mm do?
2 The plumber has used copper pipe to supply cold water feeds to sink unit and washing machine but has used plastic pipe from there up to the airing cupboard where it re-connects with the existing copper pipework. Do I have to provide main earth bonding from this point, the other side of the plastic pipe, back to the consumer unit as well?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Hello.

1.The 'main' bonding conductor should be in 10mm.

2. No need for another 'main' bonding conductor, (ps; supplementary bonding should be in place in the bathroom, no longer required in the kitchen).

Cheers

Ed

Thanks for that Ed. - much appreciated.

You mentioned supplementary bonding in the bathroom so I've had a quick look. In the airing cupboard there are five copper water pipes, hot & cold feeds to bath and wash basin, cold feed to shower, etc. all bonded together but that seems to be it. There's no connection from this bonding to anything else. The isolating switch for the shower and the immersion heater switch are both in the airing cupboard. If I run separate 4mm earth cables from the earth terminals in each of these switches to one of the four bonded pipes would that do the job?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back