Main EARTH cable (again)

C

compheat

I,m just in the process of installing a Wc under a staiway, the main electricity supply board is in the way, there is plenty of slack on cables so moving it isnt a problem. The incoming supply comes in from next door via a metal sleeve there are only two cables (cloth insulation) L and N there is NO earth. There has been recent alterations to the electric's so i dont know why the sparky didnt do something about this. There is no earth to consumer unit or gas/water pipes. Do i need to get in touch with service provider to sort out. (I'm the plumber by the way)

Sponsored Links
You could ask for an earth to be supplied, but I doubt it would be available.

You will need to get your electirician to do the connections to the gas and the water, and he will want to check everything else I would imagine. If the main bonding hasn't been done, then the rest of the installation will no doubt need some attention.

Either way, seriously wouldn't advise messing about moving the meter board. Bad idea. I would wait till your electrician has had a look and maybe take his advice?

It might be that you have a TT earthing system and that the main earth is from a earth electrode driven into the ground outside somewhere. If this was fed straight into the back of the CU you might not see it just by looking at the front of the unit without removing the cover. Even if this is the vase you should have water and gas pipes bonded back to the CU.

Call an electrician and get a PIR done. If you really do have NO earth, you have a potential serious problem!

I've already moved the board like I said there was plenty of slack on cables. The electrician who as rewired the extension put in a seperate CU and put earth cable from teminal block on board, Its obviose there is NO incoming earth he's part P registered.I,ve Put bonding to both Gas/Water. Is putting an earth rod in ground ok Should'nt the spark have tested for earth ect

Sponsored Links
Possibly a TN-CS (pme) system, you may be looking at the DNO side which only has two cables, phase and combined neutral/earth, although I have only known them use concentric cable for pme. Are you saying there are two cables entering the service head and then Phase, neutral and earth appearing at the other side? Any chance of a picture?

Is the CU you are talking about the main CU or a sub distributon board put into feed an extension? ie is the meter next to it or not?

Either way it should be earthed. Is it fed wire an armoured cable, where teh armour itself acts an earth?

compheat said:
The electrician who as rewired the extension put in a seperate CU and put earth cable from teminal block on board,

The terminal block on the meter board? So what has that block got connected to it other than the earth to the new CU?

The house in question is a SEMI the supply cable feeds next door first then comes throw the wall to feed my side. the cable areold N goes to a Connecter Block and then tails to meter consumer unit ect, and the L goes to main fuse then meter. The only earths are single copper wires going to water pipe and also into plaster work. the fuse box for the house is WYLEX type fuses have been upgraded to switchable type and the other fuse box is for extension only.

You will probably find that the earthing that goes into the plaster might well end up at an earth electrode outside. Is it a similar size to the gas and water bonding? Depending on earthing type it should be anything from a 6mm to a 16mm (may be even a 25mm).

If work by a part P electrician has been done, he should have notified the owner of any work that would be required to bring it up to standard.

To write a ticket on the new job, he would have had to make sure the existing earth was up to scratch or replace it before he started.

Is it possible that the earth has been ran from the new unit and you just can't see it compheat? There again, I guess you would have noticed the 10mm at the water and gas!

Thanks for your replies. The only earth cable is about 2mm single copper wire and thats it. A visual inspection shows there's no bonding and as you've said it should of been pointed out The customer just wants a safe job :) So what do i need to do regarding the lack of earth cable ???/

I'd get someone else in for a second opinion on the installation. Existing and new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back