Main Eco 30 Elite - Upgrade Salus to Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im looking to replace my Salus wireless stat on my Main Eco 30 Elite with a hive system. Ive been looking around and wanted some clarity on my plan here. So ive got a Salus RT501RF(TX) stat and on the boiler its a RXBC605 reciever.

Looking around on here and online am I right in thinking I can set the reciever on the boiler to manual so always on basically:

And then wire the hive in line with the current on by copying this diagram:

1675376373812.png

I am also presuming from the above the link from 1 and 2 will already be off on mine as I have a stat already?

Thanks in advance guys, I just wanted to get my head around it before I take a look inside as this seems to simple to me! Finally will the current stat be wired on the same side as the hive so i would have 3 wires in one side or would that be on the opposite side of the terminal block?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I just wanted to get my head around it before I take a look inside as this seems to simple to me!

It seems too simple to me as well. I'm no expert, but I've a feeling something is missing. Where are the wires you want to join the Hive to situated? Isn't the current stat wireless?

Yea the current stat is battery operated and wireless to that reciever thats on the boiler already.

Sponsored Links
It looks about right to me! :)

We've been asked a few questions about the built-in Salus receivers before.
Looking around on here and online am I right in thinking I can set the reciever on the boiler to manual so always on
Whether the previous posters have understood our advice or not; it has been reported that switching the receiver to manual, doesn't allow a new thermostat to work.
Bridging together the wires connected to terminals 3 and 4 on the Salus, would be the best solution. Even if switching to manual worked, the salus would be constantly holding a relay on, causing heat and consuming power when it needn't even be there.
I am also presuming from the above the link from 1 and 2 will already be off on mine as I have a stat already?
The link will probably still be there and will need to be removed, because the Salus receiver is usually connected internally to the boiler.

Last edited:
2023-02-03 10.48.29.jpg
2023-02-03 10.48.47.jpg
2023-02-03 10.49.52.jpg
2023-02-03 10.54.13.jpg

This is what we have on the boiler I checked this morning so if I get a terminal and link 3 and 4 together on that internal salus and leave it as it is basically bybasses it?

Typical that the salus has just started clicking and buzzing after I removed it, time to change it I think.

So to confirm leave the live and neutral on the salus reciever then just connect 3 and 4 together wen though its now broken this will still work right?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
if I get a terminal and link 3 and 4 together on that internal salus and leave it as it is basically bybasses it?
Yes, that's right.
PS> shouldnt the yellow link wire on mine already be removed as I have an external stat?
The link will probably still be there and will need to be removed, because the Salus receiver is usually connected internally to the boiler.

Also on the warning sticker it says 230v should be taking from block 2. From the wiring diagram above for the Common is howing to connect to block 1 is this not the 230v feed?
It's the manufactures being cautious. If the power feed is taken from block 2, the feed is protected by the boilers internal fuse. If the fuse blows and the boiler dies, the thermostat will also be dead.
However the risks are not hugely higher, if wiring directly to block 1.

Thank you so pretty much all I need to do is:
1. Wire the hive in as per the original diagram I posted.
2. Remove the yellow link wire.
3. Link 3 and 4 together at the old salus reciever end.

And im good to go?

Thanks guys final question, mouting the recieiver, the boiler is in the back corner of the utility room. Am I best putting it up here out the way?:

2023-02-03 12.02.06.jpg

Hi guys,

Im looking to replace my Salus wireless stat on my Main Eco 30 Elite with a hive system. Ive been looking around and wanted some clarity on my plan here. So ive got a Salus RT501RF(TX) stat and on the boiler its a RXBC605 reciever.

Looking around on here and online am I right in thinking I can set the reciever on the boiler to manual so always on basically:

And then wire the hive in line with the current on by copying this diagram:

View attachment 294620

Thanks in advance guys, I just wanted to get my head around it before I take a look inside as this seems to simple to me! Finally will the current stat be wired on the same side as the hive so i would have 3 wires in one side or would that be on the opposite side of the terminal block?

Thanks!
hi Peter. I have exactly the same set up as you and I am looking to do exactly as you did and replace the salus with the hive. did it work for you doing it exactly as per your diagram and if so just to confirm did you leave the old salus receiver in place but just remove terminals 3 and 4 from it and join those 2 wires together. many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back