Main electrics switch keeps tripping...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I rent a recently converted barn (about 2-3 years ago), and the master trip switch keeps going here, seemingly for 'no reason'. Downstairs i have quite a lot of (music) studio equipment, but i don't think it's to do with this.

Sometimes it happens during the night when everything is powered off (and the switch on the surge protectors are off too, so nothing is on standby), so to me this rules out my studio equipment.

Sometimes it does happen when i'm plugging something in - but usually it happens when things are 'constant' - nothing being turned on or off, i'm just sitting there.

It does it when the boiler is not kicking in.

I'm pretty sure it's to do with damp, as it's usually a little bit wet outside when it happens. The place is a converted barn, but the conversion is only a couple of years old, so all the wiring etc is pretty new. There are outdoor

I've uploaded a picture of the trip switch unit, it's the main one of the left that goes, under the yellow button.

The landlord said she would get an electrician round.

In the meantime, i'm wondering if these sudden power cuts could harm my studio equipment?

Is it dangerous - could there be a fire?

Is this likely to be caused by damp? The walls are stone and i believe there is a tiny bit of damp.

Thanks guys!

Ed

Sponsored Links
oh dear - for some reason the picture is upside down. it's the right way round on my computer, sorry about that.

It shouldn't harm your studio equipment AFAIK.

The trip switches prevent any danger coming to you and hopefuly any from any damage coming to your equipment.

Out in the entertainment industry world our power distro boards have protection from MCBs and RCDs. Obviously to prevent any danger from coming to us, then they do trip. the equipment is still fine.

You say the landlord is sending a sparky around? Hopefuly they'll beable to quickly find and correct the problem

That's ok I can read Australian.

It could be caused by damp. Do you have any outside fittings or accessories?
Lamps with water in them? Sockets, for example.

Sponsored Links
Done 2/3 years ago and not compliant with either 16th or 17th Ed. Regs?

Hi guys! Thanks for all the quick replies!

That's ok I can read Australian.

It could be caused by damp. Do you have any outside fittings or accessories?
Lamps with water in them? Sockets, for example.

There are motion sensitive security lamps at the front and back of the property. They can either be set to be on permanently or come on when something comes close by. I don't think i can turn them off completely.

As it's a farm it comes on a fair wack, what with the farm dog running around etc. But it's not always a given that it will trip, i haven't noticed that it trips when the light comes on.

Sometimes it doesn't trip for a couple/few weeks, tonight it tripped twice and when i tried to flip the switch the second time, it actually tripped immediately again.

I've sat here for a few hours now, and there's not been another trip... might not be one for ages.

I bet there will be one if i start working though!

Thanks

It shouldn't harm your studio equipment AFAIK.

The trip switches prevent any danger coming to you and hopefuly any from any damage coming to your equipment.

Out in the entertainment industry world our power distro boards have protection from MCBs and RCDs. Obviously to prevent any danger from coming to us, then they do trip. the equipment is still fine.

You say the landlord is sending a sparky around? Hopefuly they'll beable to quickly find and correct the problem

I hope so... however i've been asking her for a while now. As it will be expensive, i'm sure she/they're reluctant to call one out, i'll have to keep nagging.

I'm sure they'll try to blame all my equipment, but as i mentioned, i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with that as it trips when none of my stuff is powered up or even on standby

I'm glad it shouldn't cause any harm to the gear. It's all plugged into surge protectors, too.

I'm sorry i have no idea. I'll have to look that up...

Do you guys think it could be dangerous?

You know the environment better than anyone here.

What's your assessment of the danger of losing all the lights and the fire detectors because of an unrelated fault?

There are motion sensitive security lamps at the front and back of the property. They can either be set to be on permanently or come on when something comes close by. I don't think i can turn them off completely
Even switching them off might not cure the problem. Only completely disconnecting the faulty circuit will remove the fault. Because of the way your consumer unit is configured it could be anywhere.

It seems as if the only way to find the fault will be an electrician with test equipment.

I'm sorry i have no idea. I'll have to look that up...

Do you guys think it could be dangerous?

Probably not dangerous (although without being there to inspect the entire installation, nobody can say for sure), but it isn't compliant in that you have a single point of failure for the entire installation. As you've found out, it's quite an inconvenience if nothing else. The barn would have been far better on a non-RCD feed with the RCD located in the barn itself.

but it isn't compliant in that you have a single point of failure for the entire installation.

Exactly the same as your house, my house and 99.99% of houses in the uk. Are you saying all houses should have dual supplies from different parts of the national grid?

You'd think I would have learned by now the tendency on this forum to pick up on the slightest hint of ambiguity, but obviously not :rolleyes:

To remove any confusion, I was/am referring to BS7671 314.1

Oh dear, you still seeing imaginary words, I've just looked at 314.1 and I couldn't see the words 'single point of failure'. :)

I don't think you really know what the term means and how costly it is to eliminate 'single points of failure'. A little knowledge ..............., I'll leave you to fill in the missing words.

"314.1 Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to (i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault (iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit"

That in mind, if you're happy to sign your name to an certificate claiming compliance with BS7671 on an installation with a single 30mA RCD incomer, then you either have a very warped comprehension of the regs, very low standards of workmanship, or both. The fact that the OP is on this forum asking the questions that he is should be proof enough of the inconvenience such an installation can cause.

Is all the electronic equipment actually unplugged at night or just switched off or in standby. The mains filters could still be in circuit. This, along with any minor leakage on the outside lighting or off peak heating perhaps, could be causing the trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back