main fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I have 60/80amps printed on the main fuse on the power supply into the house.Would i need to get this upgraded to power a 8.5kw shower?.
and do i have 60amp or 80amp power?, 60 stoke 80amp seems a bit ambiguous.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a carrier that can take either a 60A or 80A fuse, you can't know what is actually in there without taking it out, which is technically illegal, and possibly dangerous.

As to whether it is enough, I don't know without knowing what other loads you have got on it, though I do know that the OSG diversity tables err very much on the safe side, and chances are that if they went by them, then you'd think you'd need a huge supply, list what you have got here, and we will ignore the OSG for you and make a sensible estimate of max demand :)

Remember part P notification required for the shower (presuming of course its not just replacing identical unit on the end of the same circuit)

P.S. Oh, and the saving grace is that a 60A fuse will take 100A long enough to have a shower, and 80A a lot longer than that, so even if your shower pushes your max demand over the fuse rateing, although not very good design, the fuse won't be failing on a weekly basis ;)

Thank you very much for your reply,it has put my mind at ease. i do not use that much electricity,i cook by gas and ,heat my home by gas and i do not have a immersion heater.
I cannot do much diy(below waist level) cos i have lost the use of my legs,on the other hand i do not want to get ripped off as money is tight, so the more info i have the better(some people look at disabled people and think they are easy to rip off).
Who is best to get a quote for a replacement cu my local electricity supplier or a indipendant electrician?.

many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
electricity suppliers dont do replacing consumer units. You will have to get 3 electricians out, get 3 quotes and go for the middle one, or the one you think is most trustworthy :rolleyes: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back