Main HE 30 boiler - cold water sometimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
At the beginning of the year my boiler would for a few seconds flick off the pilot light & cold water would come out. Its about 5 years old.It would be hot again in a few seconds. A heating engineer changed the NTC and fitted a hardwater magnet thing on the cold in pipe because he said we have very hard water - he is correct. It was fine for 5 months ish
Now the pilot light either works fine or not at all ie not flicking off mid flow as before, but as you turn the tap on not coming on. He said it might be the plate to plate heat exchanger- am I being given good advice? If so would it be expensive?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Pilot light?? This boiler does not have a pilot light! I would say you need to get a second opinion as the new problem you are describing (no hot water at all) points to a different part in the boiler, not the plate heat exchanger! Very common fault and an experienced engineer should be able to spot it very quickly. You are probably looking at anything between £80 to £250 to fix, depending on the extent of the failure. Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
I have this problem regularly every couple of years, it is the secondary heat exchanger. I have in the past been able to take it out and clean out the swarf and rubbish that builds up. Running a hose through it with a bit of shaking usually does the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back