main house electric supply fuse testing - size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a message here regarding establishing the main electric supply fuse rating to the consumer board.

It talks about getting the supply cable to the meter and consumer box size, inc sheath??.

The problem that I have is that the electric board say they don't know the rating however there should be a sticker, which has now disappeared.

As per earlier mesages I recently fitted a 45a fuse to shower and have now established that the the problem may be the supply fuse, its casing is warm after using shower, suggesting maximum load???

I have been told that an electrician could tell me however I further understand that only the supply company are suppose to hancle this item.

How can I find this supply fuse rating out, are the fuses colour coded or are they clear glass with a number stamped on the side. if say I accidently on purpose dislodged the casing security ties.

Sponsored Links
the fuse itself will be labeled but the only way to find out what it is is to pull it

And further to plugwash, don't pull it yourself, certainly not for this - do it without permission for isolation in a life or death emergancy possibly, otherwise you realy need the company say so first.
(If the seals are broken, and they were not informed, they may look for evidence of electricity theft, and some get quite upset, other regions are more lenient.)
If the company fuse is underrated its not your problem, contact your DNO, who's contact persion is from this maphttp://www.pv-uk.org.uk/reference/grid_con/dno_contacts.html
and if they can't tell you by looking it up in their (often out of date) records, then they should send someone round for free (but in reality will probably tell you not to worry about it unless it gets really bad).
regards M.
Are we talking too hot to touch or just blood warm? To get rapid action out of the DNO it needs to be fairly serious.

I spent about 10 mins using the shower this morning. The casing for the supply fuse was warm to the touch although the cables weren't even affected.

If i left the shower running for a continous period say 30mis or so, long sleep propped against wall would the fuse blow.

I initially went down avenue of the mcb and wiring however I have double checked everything at the consumer unit end and am happy. the mcb hums, suggesting lack of feed power from saupply?

This sticker on the fuse casing is it tiny therefore I haven't noticed it though looking or big and jump out at me, what would it read anyway.

Sponsored Links
gibbad said:
I spent about 10 mins using the shower this morning. The casing for the supply fuse was warm to the touch although the cables weren't even affected.
Doesn't sound right.

If i left the shower running for a continous period say 30mis or so, long sleep propped against wall would the fuse blow.
Might do.

the mcb hums, suggesting lack of feed power from saupply?
¿que?

This sticker on the fuse casing is it tiny therefore I haven't noticed it though looking or big and jump out at me, what would it read anyway.
Probably a number followed by "A" or "Amps"?

I have found the ampage, its 60 amp, The fuse cover is upside down and its tiny printing into the fuse case itself.

Is this why my shower mcb and fuse makes noise, because its on the verge of overload.

I have contacted the power company and arranged for a 100 a free upgrade, will this elivate, cure the problem I have.

gibbad said:
Is this why my shower mcb and fuse makes noise, because its on the verge of overload.
No.

I have contacted the power company and arranged for a 100 a free upgrade, will this elivate, cure the problem I have.
It should stop the service fuse from getting warm. It won't stop the MCB fom buzzing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back