electricity supply main fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got told by an electrician to make sure that my electricity supply main fuse is rated at 80A or higher. He said to do this, I need to contact your supplier. If it needs replacing, they should do it at no cost to me?

I thought the only fuse you have is on the consumer unit?

Am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
All installation will have a main fuse before the Meter.
This is the suppliers property and will be 63A, 80A or 100A, Unlikely to be higher.
Your electricity supplier should have a record of its capacity and should increase its rating free of charge if the installation is suitable.

Sponsored Links
Then you probably have the largest they fit, seems odd that your electritian didn't check it as its part of an electricians responsibility to ensure the supply is adequate for the installation. Or was he just lazy.

He said I would have to ask my supplier the size?

I ain't going with to do it though now.

There is a box on the forms he should have given you for the size of this fuse. It is only an issue if there is some doubt about the total demand of the property. Was he Registered or just an odd job man?
P.S. be carefull when feeding his horse, they bite.

you cant accuratly identify the fuse unless you break the seal

Andy, when will you learn to carry your x-ray specs when you do an inspection.

heatherw_01 said:
andy said:
you cant accuratly identify the fuse unless you break the seal

well it says 100a on it

I think you are probably looking at the carrier, is it a big black plastic lump? just because the carrier says 100A on it, doesn't mean that a 100A carrier is installed, hence the need cut the seal and pull it to properly ID it

yeah it is a big plastic lump. who would have to open it to look at it?

do I have to look at this to replace the consumer unit to a 80amp?

Qedelec said:
Andy, when will you learn to carry your x-ray specs when you do an inspection.

Qedelec I hope you don't cut the seals off the "Lucy CutOut" This is illegal!! :eek: On the inspection side of listing the supply type you HAVE to call manweb and ask the size not just cut the seals and look, then on the PIR you write "assumed" . As long as the meter tails are 25MM there will be no problems .

heatherw_01 said:
yeah it is a big plastic lump. who would have to open it to look at it?

do I have to look at this to replace the consumer unit to a 80amp?

only DNO can legally open it. just leave it. if it blows it blows, it gets replaced. possibly with 100A. my house only had a 40A and its never blown yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back