Supply Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if someone can help me. Does the main incoming supply fuse need upgrading from 60A, if on a consumer unit theres 3 30A ring mains, 2 6A lights, 15A Immerson + 40A Cooker? Does it need to be 80A?

Sponsored Links
Has it blown?

Whats the maximum demand?

Adding up the fuse values doesn't equate to the maximum demand.

Its just someone told me i'd have to have supply fuse ugrading if having an extra ring main n cooker circuit put in.

afaict normal practice is not to bother about the service fuse unless it actually blows and usually when it blows the supplier tends to change it to 100A anyway (suitability of the supply cable permitting).

as long as the cooker and the immersion are the only heavy loads with long run times (washing machines, dishwashers and tumble driers don't generally run long enough to be a problem, service fuses don't exactly blow fast at moderate overload) you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
If service fuse blew wouldn't that mean being without power for a time? How long b4 they normally come out?

VERY rare to see a service fuse blow to a standard domestic property with expected loading.

They would be out in 3 hours typically if it did.

Don't worry about it - how do you know yours is a 60amp anyway??

Well if you can see the actual fuse, and can verify is as such (not just the carrier) - you must have cut the seal......may as well change it yourself :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back