Main Medway Super Water Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new here so go easy
My daughter has just bought her first house with (you guessed it)
Main Medway Super Water Heater

Iv'e down loaded the MI the system looks fairly simple
I can light the pilot easily & it will stay lit but when I open the hot taps the boiler won't fire up so what is wrong

Could it be the thermo couple, our the diaphragm.

If it is the diaphragm can I part remove the water governer assy & duplicate the push rod movement by hand to get the boiler to fire up by

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
If it is the diaphragm can I part remove the water governer assy & duplicate the push rod movement by hand to get the boiler to fire up by
Yes you could. You'd need a new water heater if you did that though. If you don't see why, perhaps you'd be better to call someone in. ;)

Could be the push rod slightly bent.

The best option, but the most expensive, is to replace the water section.

This would, however, need some of the gas joints disturbing, so an RGI with a water heater ticket would be required.

Hi sorted that heater
ChrisR sort of got my back up ;)
So I went down and ripped the necessary items to bits did what was needed to repair it, actually started the boiler by hand for couple of seconds
If you want to know what it entailed then, perhaps you'd be better to call someone in.
But not the guy of the TV last week that shafted the customer for £400+ ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi sorted that heater
ChrisR sort of got my back up ;)
So I went down and ripped the necessary items to bits did what was needed to repair it, actually started the boiler by hand for couple of seconds
If you want to know what it entailed then, perhaps you'd be better to call someone in.
But not the guy of the TV last week that shafted the customer for £400+ ;)

Lets hope your daughter has a nice first house to come back to next time she goes out..............

Make sure her house insurance covers fire damage........

as the valve seems to have been seized and you have unseized it and got the gas to burn.well done.
these can bead gas and cause the heat exchanger to melt and burst,so the second safety device kicks in when water floods from the heatexchanger an puts the gas burner out. :D :D

as the valve seems to have been seized and you have unseized it and got the gas to burn.well done.
these can bead gas and cause the heat exchanger to melt and burst,so the second safety device kicks in when water floods from the heatexchanger an puts the gas burner out. :D :D
Hi turbofan you got it bang on
The Push Rod was seized
I will check for bead gas
I'm going to fit three new (O-Ring 20 ID x 3.2mm Section) for the Push Rod this should cover any bead gas leakage
I have some water leakage from the lower two O-Ring in the Water Governor Assembly
I've ordered a new Diaphragm Rubber so I can change that when I do the three O-Ring that should sort every thing out.
Then obviously check every joint for gas leakage
Get some one in to check everything out
Might there be any thing else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back