Main stop valve access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to shut off water to the house to do some work on the internal stop cock. Im trying to access the stop valve on the street but can’t get the cover lifted. I’ve scraped the edges clean, tried various tools (screwdrivers, crow bars) on it, WD40 etc and it isn’t moving. The gaps are about 9mm and cover extends down about 20-30mm so it’s hard to get any leverage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• BCCE4D1E-1791-4557-A708-C06C48798266.jpeg
    BCCE4D1E-1791-4557-A708-C06C48798266.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
That doesn’t look like a hinged type, couldn’t be a locking lid type. Try scraping some of the detritus off the top.

look at some of the ones outside neighbours' houses in case there under any clues hidden by that smear of tar.

ask if they have ever opened theirs.

i wonder if tar could have run down the gap and stick the lid to the base.

Thanks for the ideas, the neighbours have new plastic ones or the hinge style. My property is the only one with this style as far as I can tell.

Sponsored Links
It is the lever type, denoted by the 4 notches, one on each side. Tap it with a normal sized hammer then use 2 screwdrivers at the same time at opposite ends and lever up back and forward, then swap to the other 2 and keep doing that, if it lifts even a mill or 2 then tap it back down and repeat, it should lift eventually.

what does "lever type" imply?
It implies that it sits square within the frame and you use 2 flat levers to lift it straight up, they do tend to heve a corner catch to stop the lid being lost.

That's what the flat edged legs on manhole cover keys are usually for, they're used to 'lever' the lid up and out, either that or large screwdrivers

th

Success! However it’s covered in soil and I can’t reach to clean it out.

Attachments

• 4B727AF0-D7EC-4DD2-8754-FCF25E59480C.jpeg
    4B727AF0-D7EC-4DD2-8754-FCF25E59480C.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 42
  • F83A1334-95C3-42FB-8A21-FEB4429B652D.jpeg
    F83A1334-95C3-42FB-8A21-FEB4429B652D.jpeg
    823.5 KB · Views: 43
A long enough steel bar to loosen the build-up, then the hose on an old vac to suck the loosened bits out.

Thanks, for all the help with this one. To get the cover off I managed to get the detritus scraped away fully. Had to use a think screwdriver in the corners and to use it like a skinny chisel before clearing out with the remainder with a Stanley knife. From there is levered from opposite sides like Madrab suggested and it came eventually.

Cheers for the suggestion Harry, I’m sure that will get it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back