Need to move main stop tap

5 Jun 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am completely redoing my kitchen currently. When everything goes back, the stop tap will be behind the washing machine. I want to move it so it can be accessible by removing a plinth below the sink cupboard. I cannot find the stop tap in the street (I can find the cover but there is no tap in it).

Would it be OK to install a second stop tap in the house in the new position and simply leave the old one in place? This would mean I can use the internal stop tap as my isolation device while fitting a new one.
To make access easy can I use a lever style ball valve such as this?
Sponsored Links

Stop tap outside is usually at about o.75m deep from ground might be buried under leaves,soil, is wise to change the internal stop tap when posssible.
Sponsored Links
I have contacted Yorkshire Water who are comming to show me my external stopcock on Friday. When they come they will clear the access hole and test that the stopcock works. If there is a problem they will organise the remedial work. Not bad as they won't be charging me for it.

Once they have been and made their stopcock work, I will be able to replace my internal one at my leisure.

Am I OK to use the lever style ball valve such as this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local