Mains fed tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a cold tap on the bathroom sink that is spluttering, knocking, has very inconsistent flow rate and the pipework hums at low flow rates.

Scottish water were working on the main outside a few days ago and now pressure seems very high over what was previously a decent flow anyway.

It's a first floor flat, and all mains fed, no storage tank. There are only three cold taps - kitchen sink, bath and bathroom sink.

The kitchen tap was affected by the work initially but quickly settled down. The bathroom sink tap is the problem and the bath tap is also slightly affected.

This is my girlfriends flat and I'm not very familiar with the layout of the plumbing. I'm hampered by everything being boxed in, and inaccessible. Although the place has been modernised inside it is an old building. I can't even find a stoptap within the dwelling and can't establish if there is one.

Obviously I suspect air in the pipework in the bathroom as well as the pressure being too high within the dwelling, contributing to the knocking. Does that sound about right? If so, the problem I have is not being able to reduce the flow at the stopcock although the knocking isn't bad and if I could deal with the air that would probably suffice.

Sponsored Links
get a plumber to repair stop tap then turn down the flow.
you dont usually get air in mains pipe work as the pressure pushes it out.

oldplumb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back