Mains fire alarm...think I've messed up...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could do with a few tips on the following...may be a bit of a long post, and partly a rant!

I got a local electrician in to install a mains fire alarm including smoke detectors and sounders, and to do a periodic inspection.

All went fine at the start and progress was looking good so when he said he was finished and all tested ok I had no reason to doubt him...

Alarm bells should have started ringing from the moment he wondered if I could pay in cash, not for any discount for me but 'the company accounts are being switched to a new bank and need cash for the lads wages..you'll still get all the certs, receipts...' etc,

Thinking I was doing him a favour and as he'd been reliable so far I paid up and checked the installation the next day...3 out of the 5 sounders aren't working. The lids on these were left off and I can see wires to the sounder but not connected to the sounder. So I'm starting to wonder are the detectors wired in the same way? I called him every day since, he promised to come back but didn't and now is ignoring my calls.

All the wiring has been done in the red 'fire' cable, except for the power supply to the box...I thought that this would heve been the most important part to be protected?

He also said he would label the CU during the periodic test but this wasn't done. I didn't get a full list of the test results either but could get a copy if I needed.

The quote included a completion certificate but I didn't get one of these. But I don't know if this is necessary after the periodic was done. Do I need one? Do LABC still need to be informed?

The guy had NICEIC stickers on his van but when I looked up the website I didn't see his company listed so don't know who to go to.

I know I should have checked thoroughly before paying but when an electrician tells you the job's done and tested how is the regular man on the street supposed to be able to verify his work?

Any help gratefully received, feel like I've been too trusting. I don't like to keep people waiting to get paid but next time I won't be letting go of my cash so easily...

Sponsored Links
looks like you will have to get some one else in to checjk / finish it :cry:

And report the installer to the Trading Standards Officer.

The non functioning alarm could have meant a death if there had been a fire.

the main panel has a backup battery, therefore the power cable isn't as important as the sounder and detector cables.

Sponsored Links
I would advise you get in a proper fire company in to check the system.

Steve said:
the main panel has a backup battery, therefore the power cable isn't as important as the sounder and detector cables.

...but is a requirement of BS5839:2002.

Different fire authorities inspectors have different ideas on what is acceptable to them, I have had some insist that the sounders only have to be wired in fp/pyro back to the panel.

tim west said:
Different fire authorities inspectors have different ideas on what is acceptable to them, I have had some insist that the sounders only have to be wired in fp/pyro back to the panel.

That is because up until a couple of years ago, detector circuits wired in twin and earth was acceptable and common practice. BS now states that critical connections to the fire alarm should be wired in appropriate fire resisting cable. The mains supply is classed as a critical connection. I don't think any fire officer worth his salt would recommend such a deviation if he were advising in accordance with the latest regulations.

Thanks for your posts.

...an update...

I checked the alarm again and pressed one of the call points this didn't set the alarm off!

I went to the electrician's house and he's promised to sort out the call points and sounders tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

I think I'll be calling NICEIC tomorrow to see what they say about someone using their logo if they aren't registered with them.

tim west said:

I have seen the same done before, apparently with a monitored system only the bells had to be wired in pyro. Personally any cable which has to act in the event of a fire imo would be better in fire resistant cable. The mains connection is a difficult one, where would you stand if you need to connect it to the CU in a fire resistant cable but the CU isn't fire resistant nor its feeds.
I'll see if I can lay my hands on the BS sometime.

Another update...some good and some still a bit unsure of...

He is registered with NICEIC, called to confirm it.

He did come back and finish some of the jobs off, the problem was that the panel would only support 2 sounders and we have 5 so he had to switch the pcb for a different one. Not too sure on this as the sounders have a separate circuit but guessing the power is routed through the pcb somehow.

What is concerning is that aswell as the new pcb he also had to add more cable to connect the sounders to each other correctly and this was done using flex and not pyro cable...

Now there's just the completion certificate to wait for and get the whole thing tested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back