Mains Flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question on mains flushing.

Could I connect my hose pipe to one of the 3 drian pionts i have on my system and using mains pressure force water around the sytem to be drianed out at one of the other drain pionts.I will seal the over flow pipe to the header tank.Am i right in thinking if i go and close the rads a few at a time it will force all the sludge up and around until reaching the exit drain piont.
I have had a clean chemical in there for 2 weeks now.

I thinks ive explained it right
Cheers
FLY

Sponsored Links
A few comments:

1. Generally, your proposed method is reasonable. I would limit the number of rads open at any one time to just one - much more likely to clear it.

2. If you're going to be draining the entire system anyway, consider removing the worst-affected rads (usually some of the downstairs ones) and flushing those out in the garden. I've seen cases where the accumulated debris forms such a hard obstruction that, even though, it's small, it tends to stick in the valve or the rad tail.

It's in the lap of the gods whether the increased flow from a hosepipe, using cold water, will encourage debris to move or to wedge tighter. Personally, I would just use the existing circulating pump - fill and vent the system, run it until hot (once it's hot you can turn the boiler thermostat down to zero and leave the pump running) then close all rads except one at a time, and let the system encourage flow through that rad.

For guidance on mains flushing look in "look here first - FAQ" topic near top of topic list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back