Mains power cable between properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with a mains power cable running from the main fuse on my side of the property to next door. The hole was drilled a third of the way down the wall making it very difficult to box in the electricity meter. I have asked next door if they will get their own cable run in but have been told by them that I will have to pay for it.

Where do I stand with this. Can I get the cable moved disconnected etc?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

thx

Sponsored Links
If the cable belongs to the electricity board (DNO), and from what you describe it is hard to tell, even if the neighbours wanted to move it, they probably couldn't, as the board would have to dig up the road, possibly turn off supplies to the whole street etc to put in a new supply ot your neighbour. Set aside about a grand for that, could be twice or half depending exactly what is there.

Is it possible to be cunning with the plaster work on your side, so it becomes buried in the wall - I am assuming it is an armour clad cable.
If the cable is in very poor condition the DNO may renew it, and be persusaded to route it a bit differntly next time, but they normally only move if they think it is in a dangerous condition.
You are probably out of luck.

Sponsored Links
It si common for back to back service positions be supplied by a sinle concentric or split concentric service. (not armoured.....ever).

The lecky board can move these services easily with no power disruption except to the properties supplied.

Most rec's WILL have charge for this, and you will struggle to argue with them.

If you drill the new hole, and talk nicely, a know WPD would honour your request - but others I am unsure of.

DONT plaster over it. In my time, i have seen several service cables nailed, drilled etc ( plastered over, or shop signage placed over the top etc.....)

Is the service position in such a place that it can't be boxed in??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back