Mains USB Charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We now have several devices that can be charged by a detacheable USB lead that can either be plugged into a PC USB slot or a mains adaptor.

They all say that the specific mains adaptor should be used, but given the leads are the same can the mains adaptors be interchangeable?

None have any output ratings listed, but given they all feed a 5v USB slot, can any damage be done to different devices, or could it just be that the charging time varies due to differing mA outputs?

Sponsored Links
All mains USB charger adaptors provide the same voltage, conforming to the USB standard.
So VOLTAGE wise they are interchangeable.

But note that some devices need a higher power output so will take longer to charge (or may not charge) if a lower output adaptor is used.

Generally you should follow the manufacturers instructions.

A 2 amp adapter from a tablet will charge a phone but a 0.5 amp adapter from a Kindle won't charge a tablet very well..

The length of time to charge is not an issue, since charging from a PC takes longer than from the mains anyway, and most of the time done overnight.

It's simply ascertaining whether a higher amperage output charger can damage a device that has a lower amperage one supplied.

Sponsored Links
It's simply ascertaining whether a higher amperage output charger can damage a device that has a lower amperage one supplied.

It can't.

The reason all the phones use USB microconnectors for charging is because of EU legislation designed to cut down on the number of chargers being thrown away. (Unfortunately the legislation refers to BC 1.1, and the current standard is BC 1.2.)

The current rating of the charger is the maximum current that the device can deliver. If you have a 0.5amp (max) charger and your phone pulls 0.1amp than only 0.1amp will flow.

If you plug a high current into a low output charger then there is safety circuitry to limit or stop the output.

Assuming that you have the sense not to regard this as advice to buy the most obviously flaky product you can find, a few sockets like these could be useful:

http://images.google.com/images?q=<usb+charger+socket>

Would they have a switch inside them which gets pushed back as a usb lead enters? Or will a small transformer be on all the time?

Switch-mode supply with low power standby. Just like your average phone charger.

(transformers, really, which decade is this?)

Assuming that you have the sense not to regard this as advice to buy the most obviously flaky product you can find, a few sockets like these could be useful:

Would they have a switch inside them which gets pushed back as a usb lead enters? Or will a small transformer be on all the time?

Switch-mode supply with low power standby. Just like your average phone charger.

Probably just thinking of the bathroom shaver sockets. Cheap SMPS's aren't all that great, but got to be better.

Probably just thinking of the bathroom shaver sockets. Cheap SMPS's aren't all that great, but got to be better.

Phone chargers and the like, as I recall, have to have exceedingly low standby power. Good quality sockets with built in chargers should be fine, also.

Would they have a switch inside them which gets pushed back as a usb lead enters?
Even if they did (which, as people are saying, I don't think any do) it would often not achieve anything - many people seem to leave a USB lead plugged into the charging source and then plug the other end into the device when it needs charging!

Kind Regards, John

Would they have a switch inside them which gets pushed back as a usb lead enters?
Even if they did (which, as people are saying, I don't think any do) it would often not achieve anything - many people seem to leave a USB lead plugged into the charging source and then plug the other end into the device when it needs charging!

Kind Regards, John

I will admit guilt, here. My phone charger lives permanently plugged in under my bed, and I just plug the phone or Kindle in as needed.

I will admit guilt, here. My phone charger lives permanently plugged in under my bed, and I just plug the phone or Kindle in as needed.
When I wrote 'many people', I suspect I probably should have written 'most people' - I, too, am also guilty :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back