Mains water / combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my question follows on from another thread, but I have a question relating to this section:

If a new combi boiler / radiator system is installed, would the installer have to switch off the mains water at the internal stop cock in order to install the system?

Sponsored Links
He may have had another stop cock or isolation valve Onthe cold main he was connecting to near the boiler.

Or he could have turned it off in the street

Why?

More info needed

I changed a combi last week.

Couldn't be bothered to look for the stop cock so cut the pipe and put a shiny new lever valve on the cold supply with it life.

Sponsored Links
The issue is that I have just bought a new property and cannot find the internal stop cock.

I have spoken to neighbours and where theirs are positioned is in the bathroom at ground floor level (its a bungalow) but our bathroom is completely tiled.

I have checked everywhere I can think of, cupboards, under kitchen sink, etc etc and I am trying to decide if it is worth cutting out a tile in the bathroom to see if stop cock is there.

However, the bathroom was tiled approx 6 years ago, and new combi etc installed Jan 2011, and supposedly when the system was installed, the internal stop cock was found, but the seller cannot remember where, I have asked the C.H installer to contact me but have yet to hear back.

Just really trying to locate it incase there is a future need for the water to go off.

There is a water stop tap out in the pavement, but dont fancy trying to use that if there is alot of snow or flooding.

I don't know the layout of your bungalow, but you could turn it off in the street and fit another one in a more accessible place, outside of the bathroom.

terrydoh:

Thanks for response. I did think about fitting another one, however i am unsure where the mains enters the building, ie would it not need to be fitted closely situated to where the mains enters the property?

You would ideally fit it close to where the pipe enters your property.

Or before the first tee

Follow the path from your stop cock outside to your house, does this lead to your hallway? Or where?

Check with another neighbour and see if there stop cock is also under the bathroom floor.

They are often under the floor by the front door

Iit sounds as though you have a wooden floor with joists as you say the stop cock is under the bathroom floor.

I have on many occasion lifted a floor and climbed into the void below to install or reach something awkward.

Not for the faint hearted though :p

The stop tap on the pavement is on the line of our driveway, i presume the mains comes up the driveway then into the building, the bathroom and kitchen are both on this external wall at the driveway also, so where the mains I think must enter the building.

The neighbours stop cocks are located in a hatch (on the gable wall at the driveway) on the wall behind the WC, unfortunately the same position on the wall in our bathroom has been tiled over, as has the floor.

There are no access hatches visible to the sub floor, yes it is suspended timber floor, floor finishes seem to have been taken over any hatches to the sub floor I am afraid.

There is evidence of an old water storage tank in he attic (directly above the bathroom) which must have been removed at some point.

As mentioned the system was replaced in Jan 2011, so maybe the installer can shed some light on where it is as I presume they would have had to deal with the mains water whilst installing new system, depending on what sort of mood he is in, whether it be helpful or other........ :LOL:

By what you are saying.

I would open up the wall in the same location as your neighbours stop cock, as this is likely to be where your is, and then fit an access panel over the top.

A multi tool is good for doing this kind of work neatly

Yes i have bought the necessary things to create the hatch, its just that the seller said that when the plumber was installing the new system last year, they had 'found the internal stop tap' and as the wall was tiled approx 6 years ago, it suggests the stop cock might not be in the original place it was installed when the property was built as per my neighbours.

it leaves me with the dilemma of was the seller telling the truth or should I remove a tile (300x300mm tiles) to see what is behind?? which is abit of a 'punt' to be honest :confused:

I think you have to go for the punt.

Blxxdy bathroom fitters and tilers :rolleyes:

I would put my money on him turning it off in the street.

Is their a stop cock or isolating valve near your boiler, as he may have been able to turn the water off here, or he froze the pipe and installed one

Stop cocks are often under the kitchen sink or sink kick space

Look under kick spaces in the kitchen for pipes coming up from the floor, or behind appliances.

There doesn't seem to be any isolating valve near the boiler.

When removing the old water storage/gravity fed system, would it have been normal to leave the stop tap in its original position?

From what I can tell from neighbours stop cock position and the redundant pipework in my attic space, the old water tank would have been directly above the bathroom and and directly above where the mains enters the property. Would this be classed as a 'normal' expected set up?

Yes it would, and yes that is a normal set up.

You would connect the main cold going to your cold tank over to the cold outlet from your tank to make your supply to your bathroom mains

He may of used the old stop cock to your cold tank and then dropped a cold pipe down to your boiler from the loft

I would have turned it off in the street

If there is a stop cock in the loft, turn it off, if your hot water goes off then this is what he has done. This probably wouldn't turn off the cold water to your kitchen though

Just spoke to plumber, said cant remember finding stop cock when installing new system, and in cases like that they just put the water off at the road, which is most likely what has been done.

Said deals alot with the properties near mine, and the stop cock is either in the cupboard at the vestibule (has hardwood flooring laid over it if it was there which doesnt look like it has been moved in years) or in the wall behind the cistern in the bathroom as per my suspicions!!

Looks like its the remove a tile option this weekend, to either hopefully find the stop cock, or just rule out another area - the joys!!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back