Mains water flow rate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am contemplating installing a T200, 190 litre Gledhill Torrent Indirect Thermal Store to replace my traditional Gravity fed Hot water cylinder. I am keeping my existing Central Heating system set up. I just need DHW at a decent pressure for showers and not to have to wait 20 minutes for a bath to fill. My Boiler is a 16 years old Baxi SoloWM60/4RS (17.58KW/60,000BTU Max Output)
I have checked my cold mains water flow rate and it is 16 litres per minute. Should this be OK for a Thermal Store system?

Sponsored Links
If you've got 200 litres of hot water that your using at 16 litres per minute then you've got about 12 minutes of shower time I'd have thought.

Have you seen http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/torrent_tech.pdf. There is no mention of supply flow rates in there that I can see though and I like the way they sell this on its high flow rates and then at the end of the brochure they tell you to be responsible and limit the outlet flow rates!

Why not give Gledhill a call and see what they say.

Wouldn't a shower pump do much the same with less cost?

I have very poor hot water flow at every tap and shower in the house even downstairs. It takes about 20 minutes to fill a bath !! I have a shower pump on one shower but I'm sick of the noise it makes. I want to fix this problem once and for all !!.

I will call Gledhill and see what they say about mains water flow rates.
Thanks for your comments.

Sponsored Links
you'll get out a little less that you put into a thermal store. so say for arguments sake, 14 l/min. Tbh that isn't a flow rate worth paying out for. I would be looking to incress your main pressure first. Cheapest way to increase your hot water pressure would be to raise the height of your storage tank if possible. Only cost is time, a few lengths of copper, and some timber.

It's not a question of whether 16l/m is enough for a thermal store, it is a question of whether 16 l/m is enough for your combined instantaneous hot and cold requirements.

Theoretically a thermal store will hold more energy than a cylinder because the store temperature is set higher.

A unit with a plate heat exchanger such as the DPS Pandora would give a better performance, subject to the water supply available to you.

Mickyg, 14l/min is probably well worth paying for if you have the hot water pressure I have !! I can't raise the cold Feed storage tank in loft.

Simond, The Excel GX (no integrated F&E Tank as I already have one) from DPS is about £1900 vs the Gledhill Torrent which is about £880 !!

With all mains pressure appliances: combi, thermal store, unvented cylinders, it is best to have a 22mm full bore stoptap and a 22mm all the way to the appliance with no tee offs on this pipe. Even if the main pipe is 1/2". An old 15mm stoptap can really reduce the flowrate, as can 15mm cold fee with lots of elbows. In borderline installations I have always done this and the flowrates have improved, and usually by around 20%, to what was before. The 22mm cold feed pipe to the appliance generally means that the appliance is not robbed of flow by other cold outlets being turned on.

The Torrent is a great cost effective alternative to an unvented cylinder, although I like the Range models with plate heat exchangers better, as they have a quicker recovery rate. The Torrent does not really need to be run at 80C. It can be run at a lot less and be effective, dending on DHW usage. The hotter the temperature the more energy is stored and it will last longer. I fitted a Newark thermal store, and used a Remeha Avantaplus boiler with dual temperature control. I think the range is all dual temperature. It is a DHW priority. The three way valve is controlled from the boiler and the cylinder thermostat is wired into the boiler as well. When there is no DHW calling the weather compensation takes over on CH using pretty low temperatures most of the time. Works very well. giving full boiler temperature on DHW reheat, so DHW is back pretty quick. I like these boilers. They are cheap enough and work well and not nastily made, in fact quite well made.

WAIT! My bullsh*t detector has illuminated.

Big Burner alert.

Water Systems alert.

Dr Drivel alert.

He has now turned into an installer for extra credibility. In fact I quite like his latest incarnation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back