Mains water flush

As said previously ,all your radiators are heating normally . your problem is within the boiler. The fact that you removed a radiator around the time that you started having " cycling" issues with the boiler is coincidental .
From a cold start up ,how long does it take to get all rads up to full temperature to the touch ?
When you state " the boiler knocks off "
What exactly do you mean ?
Does it go to lock out ?
Does it shutdown and not start up again until you intervene ?

Sponsored Links
It takes about 10 maybe 15 mins to get warm to the touch. The towel rads get hotter quicker.
When i say knocks off i just mean that it switches off the heating with no faults or anything. The boiler water temp then goes down to about 60 degrees and then fires up the heating again.
Sometimes it quickly raises back to 82 then turns off again and the same happens again.
The fact it is coincidental is probs what is throwing me off the cause but it was the only thing i had to go off.

Your radiators should all get to the same temperature fairly simultaneously, within a few minutes. If they don't then its a balancing issue .As long as ALL radiators get to the same temperature as each other within twenty minutes , I wouldn't worry about it.
By the way a combi boiler does not burn gas continually ,non stop ,while in central heating mode . You do know that don't you ? I am not suggesting that yours is running OK ,just saying !!

I will check again tomorrow and use a thermal camera so i can read them all quickly and check how hot each gets.
Are you saying that it should cycle then on and off when the central heating is on?
I only suspect something is wrong as it didnt do this prior to removing a rad.
I probs need to check and or adjust the balancing anyway to get everything as good as can be

Sponsored Links
If you think your boiler was permanently burning gas ,non stop ,from when you switch on the central heating until you switch it off ,then you are wrong. They do not work like a gas fire or a gas hob. You probably have never ,in the past ,sat there watching it . They burn gas intermittently .

Thanks for the insight. No you are absolutely right. I have never sat infront of my boiler and just sat there looking at it

Thanks for the insight. No you are absolutely right. I have never sat infront of my boiler and just sat there looking at it

Ha ha ,I doubt that very many people would sit looking at the boiler !!

By the way a combi boiler does not burn gas continually ,non stop ,while in central heating mode . You do know that don't you ? I am not suggesting that yours is running OK ,just saying !!
So in regards to this quote, what impact does that have on the issue i have?

So in regards to this quote, what impact does that have on the issue i have?
What issue ?
I drew the conclusion that all your radiators heat up to the same temperature ,albeit certain rads get to temperature before others ( balancing issue ). And you thought the boilers burner should be permanently alight ( which it will not be ). You thought this was a blockage somewhere and needed a powerflush ,which it doesn't .......IF ...ALL. your rads are getting to the same temperature fairly quickly.
You intended to check this out ,have you ?

My issue is the boiler is acting differently than it was before i removed a rad.
Previously i turn the CH, rads get hot on and it stays on until i turn it off.
Removed a rad. Refit. Bleed.
Turn CH on and radiators get hot but now it turns off itself, then cools and then turns on again and so on and so on. Sometimes with a very short time inbetween.
Thats not doing exactly what it did before.
I had the exact same boiler in my last house and it never did this.

When boiler turns itself off ,does the temperature of your radiators drop significantly ?

Is the boiler kettling at all? Is the pump still running when the flame extinguishes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back