Mains Water Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't quite sure where to put this!

So start of the year I went to take a water meter reading (water meter been installed approx 12 months, was previously water rates). The chamber was full up with murky water but had been raining. Went out again yesterday and it was full but clear enough to take a reading. Water company said reading is quite high so check for leaks. So today I turned mains supply off in house and the dial is still spinning. Turned supply off at meter and the dial stopped so the problem lies between meter and house. In a 20 hour period we have 'used' over 1 cubic metre of water. I bailed the water out of the chamber and it was full again after less than an hour! Water board are coming out on Monday.

So, should I turn the main off at the meter, and just turn it back on as and when we need to refill the cold water tank, and bottles for drinking/dishwasher etc? I'm worried what effect 1,300l of water every day leaking is going to do groundworks etc and also a neighbours new driveway (see below)

And secondly, we live in a detached property, with a shared driveway with one other neighbour. We drive past their house to get to ours so we are on the end. Now they have in the last couple of weeks had their driveway repaved, including a grassed area. I'm wondering whether the removal of a tree has damaged the mains supply as it was approx 2/3 meters away from the meter. If so, who is liable for this repair? Me? Neighbour? Company who did the driveway? This is all speculation for now, the leak could well be under my driveway but seems a bit coincidental and with rough calculations of the meter reading, this has probably at it's longest been going on a month or so, so potentially before next doors works.

Sorry about the essay!

Sponsored Links
Fact is you are speculating on where the leak is ,and how long it has been leaking.
You can of course limit any further loss of water by turning street cock off / on ,as you require .upto you.
If the leak is on your property ,it's down to you unfortunately. Supplier is only responsible upto your boundary.
Hope it goes well for you ,good luck.

Contact your insurance company to advise the situation. You should attempt to mitigate any loss the insurance company face. Be prepared for arguments with your neighbours/water company/insurance company.

Contact your insurance company to advise the situation. You should attempt to mitigate any loss the insurance company face. Be prepared for arguments with your neighbours/water company/insurance company.
I wouldn't involve insurers at this point. It will inevitably increase your premiums ,and their involvement may not even be necessary.

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure the leak is at boundary, if not you can negotiate with the water co to reduce your bill which they most probably will.

Fact is you are speculating on where the leak is ,and how long it has been leaking.
You can of course limit any further loss of water by turning street cock off / on ,as you require .upto you.
If the leak is on your property ,it's down to you unfortunately. Supplier is only responsible upto your boundary.
Hope it goes well for you ,good luck.

What's the rule if it's my pipe under neighbours property? Who is responsible then?

That’s about a litre a minute so not a massive leak.

It’s probably finding it’s was into a drain somewhere, if you have manholes could be worth a look in them to see if there is s as my flowing water.

That’s about a litre a minute so not a massive leak.

1000 litres in a cubic metre - water co's charge by the cubic metre - S.E. Water I think is £1.50. You can check your water co. website.;)

Relief. Essex & Suffolk came out earlier and he's pretty certain the leak is coming from the meter. Job booked in to dig up around it and no cost to us thankfully!

Thanks for all the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back