Mains water noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This is my first post, please bare with me, this is a bit of a long story...

Ok, I have had a MAINS water noise problem for over 3 years now and its driving me mad, cant seem to fix it and no-one seems to be able to help me...

This noise is on the mains cold only, so affects:
Downstairs sink, Washing machine, downstairs basin, downstairs toilet.
Upstairs toilet, upstairs basin and power shower.

Whenever any of the above are used a terrible "steam train" noise is heard. Its quite loud, if your watching tv, and any of the above is used, then you cant hear the tv !!.

The noise seems to be loudest and coming from the stopcock under the kitchen sink.

Im 99.9% sure its not "Water Hammer". There is no "clunking" of pipes or nothing like that, just a loud "humming" / "steam train noise".

Doesnt effect the HOT atal, only of Cold Mains...

Ok, now some facts for you:

The house is an end terrace.

Newly build 3 years ago and noise was there from new, I didnt do anything about it, as i just thought it was "trapped air" and would clear by itself.

Next door neighbour has the same problem, but his next door neighbour doesnt.

We live about 10 meters from something to do with Anglian Water, not sure what it is, but there is some kind of AW site, its small, about 5m2, not sure it that has anthing to do with it ????

I have tried the following:

Changed the ball valve in loft.

Turned the stopcock under the sink loads of times and positions and makes no difference.

Tried adjusting all Isolating valves, makes no difference.

Adjusted Mains stopcock outside property, makes no difference.

I have heard about a Pressure reducing Valve, which I havent tried, but not sure if this would work. I have turned the stopcock right down and the noise is still there, That reduces the flow of water, but does that also reduce the pressure, if so, then its not a pressure issue. ??

The noise does seem to be like it could be pressure related, not that I know anything for a fact, but its almost as if the pressure is too high coming into the house, therefore, would that make that noise... ?

Out of the floor under the sink, is a blue plastic pipe, I would guess at about 28 - 32mm, connect to that is the 22mm stopcock, then it reduces to 15mm, then there is quite a sharp bend in the pipework...

Please please please help me....

Any help / suggestions greatly appreciated...

Lincon.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Although I am not a Plumber! I still would suggest fitting a pressure reducing valve. And NO, turning the stopcock down , does not reduce the pressure!

You can buy a 15mm compression fitting valve from Screwfix for around £34.

Probably a washer in a tap or a toilet cistern but could be an underground burst pipe.

Is the noise there all of the time? Or just when you use an appliance(tap toilet etc)?

Sponsored Links
could be due to high pressure, low flow volume.sounds like oscilating tap washers e.g mains stop tap but if your the third house on the run and the first is ok. id investigate further with wier cups and pressure gauge.also is it worse at peak times e.g first thing in the morning and afternoon.

I would imagine the stopcocks in the right direction, stopcocks tend to reduce down, not enlarge. You can have a new fitting fail...... :D

Hi,

Thanks for your comments,

The noise is there only when something is used, Toilet, or tap, otherwise completely quiet.

So, if i buy that pressure tester, what should I expect to see what is "normal" pressure ? and if it reads high, then I will need to fit a pressure reducing valve ?

Is fitting this valve easy ?
Im not sure if I have much "flex" in my pipes to be able to cut a section out and then flex the 2 pipes back into each end of the valve, so will I have to replace a whole length of pipe ?

With regards to the washer or something in the taps or cistern, would I have to check everything, as the noise is from everything on MAINS... ?

With regards to changing the stopcock... Would that help then ? are you saying my stopcock could be faulty, if so, what in the stopcock would cause the noise ?

and does that mean that my neighbour has a faulty stopcock too ?

TIA

Lincon

I dont think its any different at peak times...

What do you mean by wier cups ?

Its actually a run of 10 houses, we are number 10, and we have the problem, number 9 has the problem too, number 8 and 7 doesnt.

Not sure about the other people 6 - 1 ?

You need to ask your local water board what pressure you are on which can be anything from one BAR to seven BAR however if both you and your neighbour are having the same problems then I would ask them to come and have a look/listen before you spend any money.

Certainly sounds like a washer problem though.

If there are valves at your appliances turn each one off in turn to see if you can isolate the noise to a particular tap/cistern.

I take it you don't have a cold water storage tank in the loft?

The stopcock could be faulty, and yes, your neighbours too. It's the rubber washer inside the housing which vibrates at a certain frequency when water passes over it, and this causes the 'humming' noise. You could strip the stopcock gland out and change the washer, or just buy a new stopcock :D

Arrows on the stopcock are correct.

It happends whenever anything is used, day and night...

Sometimes we have the washing machine set on timer to come on during the night and the noise wakes me up !!!

Wier cups are used to measure flow.

Convinced it is a washer problem somewher in your house and a similar problem in next door's house but I doubt the noise is connected becuase the main supply to each house comes off the mains in the road seperately ,so if there was a problem in the mains (on the road) then all of the houses would have the same problem with the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back