Mains Water Supply Pipe Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd share my experience on here, just in case it helps someone in the future.
added text for search terms ...... alkthene alkathene alkathane ICI , black water mains pipe, imperial pipe, leak water supply.
I had sprung a leak near to my boundary, although I thought it was outside my property, the water co. couldn't attend for a month, and my meter was running at near 700 litres a day. I decided to dig down to check, and found the leak was unfortunately a little on my side. Here are some images.....
r1f.png

r2f.png
r3f.png
r4f.jpg
r5f.png
r6f.png
r7f.png

.... so the old 'Philmac' fitting although lasting about 15 years, doesn't have much 'give'. it was put in when the old stopcock was replaced and re-sited outside the boundary.
I could of just fitted the coupling, but at the time wasn't sure if the pipe had split, so made a repair section to be sure. The old supply pipe i have assumed to be imperial, since the house was built in 1968, but has an odd size of 17mm, which doesn't equate to any imperial size, it's about 2/3"....... but apparently imperial sizes do not need an insert. looking back i think i would've cut out the old insert to reuse in the black pipe, but too late now.
jobs been done about a month now and all seems good.
Hope this helps someone. thanks to DIYnot.com and a couple of posters who helped on my original shout for advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back