Mains water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a house that shares a mains stop tap with 3 houses. When I was getting the footings for an extension dug the mains pipe to my house was damaged (but it was only 6 inches below the surface!)

Two questions...
How do I go about getting the outside pipe fixed (and re-routed to the new extension). any idea how much this sort of thing would cost if I got someone in to do it?

Whose fault / is there is any recourse for the fact that these pipes are only shallow. The water company denies responsibility as it is beyond the mains stop cock.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Water co. is right :cry: ........you could diy most of it , ie. the trenching ....and blue MDPE pipe is surprisingly cheap

Whose fault / is there is any recourse for the fact that these pipes are only shallow.

As your house is on a shared service I would imagine that it is quite old and therefore the water main would have been installed before any Regulations relating to minimum depth, etc. came into effect so the chance of recompence is nil.

Be aware that you are responsible for the section of pipe that runs under your property that serves your neighbours (assuming you are the first in line after the stop-cock). Also, any new pipe or diversion of the existing pipe will need to comply with the current Regulations regarding depth of cover and passing under foundadtions.

In these circumstances of shared supplies it is usually best to have the water company run a seperate service into each house but, of course, they will charge you (and your neighbours) for this work.

giblets said:
Be aware that you are responsible for the section of pipe that runs under your property that serves your neighbours (assuming you are the first in line after the stop-cock).
Hard to explain without diagrams...
*The pipe is the responsibility of anybody who draws water from it. Any part of the pipe downstream (after) where you draw your water from is not your responsibility.
*You are jointly repsonsible for any part of the pipe that you draw water from, in conjunction with any other who receive water from that pipe (after you or before you).
*You are solely responsible for any part of the pipe that serves only your property.

If you have a new single supply pipe and remove your branch from the old one then you will no longer be reponsible for any of the old pipe. You only have to allow access for repair unless the pipe has been built over eg: extension/garage in which case you will be solely responsible for removing the obstruction or re-routing the pipe.

In these circumstances of shared supplies it is usually best to have the water company run a seperate service into each house but, of course, they will charge you (and your neighbours) for this work.
Or you can do the work yourself (or employ someone to do it) and have the Water Co connect up for you (some Co's provide this connection free).

Much better to get a single supply. Better flow, less likely to leak, won't be affected by neighbours using water and most important of all, if it's an old lead pipe, better for your health.

If you are building over the existing line of the pipe then it must be either re-routed around the extension or placed in a duct to allow a new pipe to be pulled through in the event of any problems (leak/blockage).

Sponsored Links
As I said, easier with diagrams: (I need to get out more)

Scenario 1 - "Typical Terrace"
csp_2xml4.jpg

Leak at:
A: Water Co's responsbility (if in public highway/footpath).
B: Joint responsibility between 1,3,5 & 7.
C: Sole responsibility of 3 Only (section of pipe only supplies 3)
D: Joint responsibility 5 & 7
E: Responsibility of 7 (after branch, pipe only feeds 7). #5 must allow access.

Scenario 2 - Extension built at 3. New supplies at 1 &3.
csp_3UrK5.jpg

Leak at:
A: Joint responsibility of 5 & 7. Access must be allowed by 1.
B: Should be 5 & 7 but as 3 has built an extension over the run of the pipe (and not ducted or re-routed the pipe) sole responsibility for removal of contravention and/or repair or re-route lies with number 3.

Things are so much easier with pictures. Hope this helps make things clearer.

The above does not apply in the case of damage to the pipe, in which case the person who caused the damage has to repair.

s_gwilym said:
How do I go about getting the outside pipe fixed (and re-routed to the new extension). any idea how much this sort of thing would cost if I got someone in to do it?

Club together with your neighbours and see if you can get a contractor/plumber in who will do a discount for all 3. Seeing as it will make things a hell of a lot easier for you in the long run I'd offer to contribute a percentage of the cost to your neighbours pipes too (although bear in mind that they might not want any expense).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back