major cracks on extension built before we purchased

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please could someone advise me, we bought our property 5 years ago and the original mortgage survey stated the cracks in the extension were just in the render so haven't taken a lot of notice, until recently i have noticed the cracks have grown wider and the window now doesn't shut properly.
After closer inspection the cracks are actually through into the blockwork and we now have a crack in the floor tiles and they have dropped approx 5mm. My personal view is a mixture of subsidence and poor quality building work on the extension.
My question is will my insurance company pay for the work required (what ever that maybe) but will it affect my claim if i want to knock the exstention down and build a new bigger exstention?
I know how insurance companies like any excuse not to pay out so should i not mention the rebuild?

Sorry for the long message, any help or advice will be much appreciated and i thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
More likely settlement and not subsidence. Or it could be poor work. Or it could be several other things,b ut you wont know unless it is loked at properly and monitored

Your insurers will only pay to repair what you have already, and any repair may affect any further extension work

You would be wise not the mention the s word to your insurers, and if you do plan to demolish and build new, then just do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back