Major damp in corner of room

Sponsored Links
opps,
After your 16 yrs and 5.5k messages on here, if you still cant remove the above skirting without damaging the plaster then it says little for your comprehension or trade skills.

As for the reasoning behind removing the skirting etc. why not start doing a bit of research on here
& all will be revealed.

Where have I mentioned any kind of damp, where have I accepted or denied condensation or any other kind of damp?

After your yrs and messages on here, you still cant
understand the apostrophe in can't . And use ? appropriately , tell us why tell :ROFLMAO: just saying.

Last edited:
opps,
After your 16 yrs and 5.5k messages on here, if you still cant remove the above skirting without damaging the plaster then it says little for your comprehension or trade skills.

As for the reasoning behind removing the skirting etc. why not start doing a bit of research on here
& all will be revealed.

Where have I mentioned any kind of damp, where have I accepted or denied condensation or any other kind of damp?

Again.. Can you explain what will be gained by removing the skirting? If there are indeed vinyl tiles under the carpet, it is, on the balance of probability, it is unlikely that they run under the skirting. Even then, I don't see what would be gained by removing any such tiles. I would not expect the floorboards to butt directly up to the external wall.

If your advice is to lift a floorboard, that can be done without removing the skirting.

Getting back to removing skirting boards- please do tell us how to remove Victorian 12" skirting that has been nailed to grounds without damaging the plaster or the skirting. And yes, I can see that the skirting in question is not the above.

Sponsored Links
Thanks you all for your advice, I was planning on taking the skirting off and replacing with 4" skirting anyway.
Hopefully with as little damage as possible.

We have the short skirting through out the house so as we decorate each room we have been replacing the skirting and architrave.

I will post some pics once it is done.

Thanks you all for your advice, I was planning on taking the skirting off and replacing with 4" skirting anyway.
Hopefully with as little damage as possible.

We have the short skirting through out the house so as we decorate each room we have been replacing the skirting and architrave.

I will post some pics once it is done.

Best of luck.

Please do let us know how you get on. It often helps other people.

Well your giving neither luck nor help to other people.
I suggested you do a little research, and suddenly your all about Victorian skirtings and cut nails.
Last time I'll advise you but, whatever, good luck & do keep in touch - power to the people!

tell will only answer what he wants - he has the brain of a politician and the wit of an opussum. And he is a panjandrum:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Why does everybody on here dislike tell80 so much?

I honestly do not know if I have previously interacted with him but I shall make a point of trying to avoid him in future. I really can't be arzzzzed with getting in to "those" kind of conversations. That isn't why I spend my "free" time here. I am here to learn and to impart the knowledge that I have accrued over the years. I am not suggesting that his motivations are any different but, as I said, I can't be arzzzzed to get involved in arguments about trivial sheet. Additionally, it doesn't look good for the site and may discourage people from posting questions.-

I stopped interacting with this site a few years ago because there were one or two people that came across as being (in my opinion) overly combative. And to tell80- no I am not taking a side swipe at you personally (with the latter part of my comment).

So I removed some of the skirting along this wall today, it was rotten in areas.

It appears to be a concrete floor with the tiles glued to it, so I'm confused by the air bricks outside now.

I'm a bit concerned with the fact the plaster goes all the way down to the concrete floor, I was always told this is a bad idea, is that correct?
It doesn't show very well in the pictures.

20220312_163726.jpg
20220312_163711.jpg
20220312_163704.jpg
20220312_163635.jpg

Also the damp inspection came out yesterday, he found damp in 3 areas of the house,
1. In the skirting in this corner (weirdly his damp meter didn't detect and damp on the actual wall, although we have had a dehumidifier on in the room).
2. By our back door in the kitchen.
3. On a small area of one of our internal walls (the area in question has our refrigerator the other side of it, so not sure if that could be the issue).

His said we have rising damp and recommends we have that silicone injection around the whole house, costing £3200.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back