Major Garden Revamp... HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm back again to this amazing forum this time rather than trying to help others I'm pulling my hair out over our back garden since moving in we've never done anything with it. The fence is falling down, it's not child friendly and we just can't spend anytime in the garden relaxing watching the kis play.

I'm going to start doing the garden up for the summer to spend time out in the sun with the kids playing and me and my partner chilling, I will keep this thread upto date with pictures and asking for advice or help where needed.

First off all for the first bit of advice I'm wondering if anyone has any low cost but effective ideas for sorting out our fence our major problem is down the side of our house the garden is higher on our side of the fence and lower in the ginel meaning the garden seems to be constantly pushing against the fence post and this could possibly be why it's all over the place but building a 4ftish wall with pillows seems to be to much of a costly option. I thought of a 2ft wall to hold the garden back but then it's finding a good storm and sterdy way of incorporating the fence post to the top of the wall I find them bolt on wood post brackets to be useless.

The Fence

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
The ginel side of the fence

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 106
Concrete posts with gravel boards will be the most cost effective way top deal with it i imagine.

Timber posts with sleepers on edge between like gravel boards would also work, or sleepers bolted to one side of the posts but wont last anywhere near as long.

Generally speaking when putting posts in where they retain something or replacing them will be difficult/ complex then use concrete.

If you do go for a wall then you need to put the fence behind it with a small gap as its own entity. If you connected the fence to it and use the wall as extra support it would act as a sail and pull the wall over.

Sponsored Links
The only worry with the concrete post is that in a few years as the ground moves I think they will start to lean again also the other problem is that it's not got any decent height on the fence as it is and leaves it pretty open as people use the ginel they can see straight over and in the garden not making it as private as it should be. I thought of higher post then use two gravel boards but the problem with that is I can't source any post local over 8ft and I would need a good depth into the ground to hold the garden back :( its just starting to drive me mad lol as I don't want to spend on it for it to be all over the place again in a few years but on the other hand it's despratley needs doing as its rotten to hell!

I understand what you mean the small wall idea it will either be the wall what gives as its acting as a sail or the flimsy bolt on wood post support, I have thought of digging it level with the ginel and having a slight slope on the lawn but I think as I get up to the house I'll end up with problems where it's exposing the top of the house footings..... Hmm I'll just keep thinking for now though

Josh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back