Major leak in flat garage roof needs a quick fix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says.

I've got a mahoosive leak in my flat garage roof and I need to patch/replace it like yesterday lol.

I don't mind if it means doing a slight botch/unorthodox fix as I'm planning on doing a proper job over the summer (possible putting a pitch on it) as I hear from a neighbour who's garage is attached that they were last done 15 years ago.

Basically I just need to stop the leak and pronto. And help on how I can do this would be nice.

Will it be as simple as getting a new roll of felt and using some sort waterproof adhesive to patch the problem area until summer arrives?

Cheers folks

Sponsored Links
Get a roof repair compound, some can be applied in wet conditions, but I still recommend you try to remove as much water/moisture to the roof as possible, prior to application.
Thompsons do some okay stuff, if it's just short term repair.

Sorry I should have said in my original post that I could do with patching a 3m x 2m section as the leak is in that area but not sure exactly where it is

Sponsored Links
When you say torch I presume you mean a blow torch? Does this felt have some sort of adhesive that activates when it's in contact with the blow torch

Rather than mess about trying the find the leak and buying felt and adhesive or hiring a gas torch etc, and then worrying if it will work, just get a big sheet of black DPM polythene and secure it around the edges with laths and maybe a weight in the middle to stop it flapping

1. you wont know for sure if that is the actual area that's leaking - leaks can travel.But if it's suspect then you may as well start there.

2. wait for a dry period, and clean away any debris or chippings,, and do as suggested by a mix of the above posts. thus for a temporary repair:

3. dont use any kind of heat-gun or torch.

4. pour a rimband ( 150mm wide say ) of liquid "roof repair compound" around the selected area.

5. lay a one-piece sheet of plastic into this, and leave alone.

6. be aware that below, your elec. switch and ceiling rose could be moisture affected.

I'm going to patch a massive section about 2m x 3m. From inside the garage this is the section that is wet.

Cheers guys

I think that the OP's saying that, in the garage,as he looks up from below, the area above is showing moisture. Not that he's intending to patch from below.

I think that the OP's saying that, in the garage,as he looks up from below, the area above is showing moisture. Not that he's intending to patch from below.

That's exactly what I wanted to say but didn't quite manage it lol. I'm going to be patching the roof, but the section I shall be patching will be directly above when I can see the wet patch from inside and a bit more just to be safe :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back