New Forum Help Major search problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does one search for a phrase?

I tried searching for "plan a", and what I got was:

Search Results for Query: "plan a"
  1. The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: a
I do sincerely hope that the problem is I've not used the right syntax to search for a phrase, and not that the search facility on the shiny new forum is broken and not fit for purpose.....

Sponsored Links
No it is an indexing problems. It was one of the issues that was discovered during testing. There is a list of stop words, not indexed because of the frequency with which they appear. I believe this is the standard list:
"a", "an", "and", "are", "as", "at", "be", "but", "by",
"for", "if", "in", "into", "is", "it",
"no", "not", "of", "on", "or", "such",
"that", "the", "their", "then", "there", "these",
"they", "this", "to", "was", "will", "with"

As I mentioned elsewhere the new forum search has yet to be reindexed properly since the changeover and this is one of the things that should be dealt with during a complete reindex. At the moment posts are added to the current 'test' index but with the old initial setup.

Hope that makes sense.

Works fine when you put in 'Plan A' which is how I would expect the term to be written....

Works fine when you put in 'Plan A' which is how I would expect the term to be written....
I think that is more fluke tbh, it just happens to be a recent result with 2 occurrences of the word 'plan' so it scores well. The fact 'plan a' is highlighted in the result is down to the highlighter function rather than the search.

Sponsored Links
Is there going to be some logic to the ordering of search results?

The old system was a mare and next to useless unless you could think of a combination of words that would inherently limit the results.

Bering able to sort by date and filter by poster/user would be an epic leap in functionality. Unless of course it already has that feature and I have never realised.

Bering able to sort by date and filter by poster/user would be an epic leap in functionality. Unless of course it already has that feature and I have never realised.
You could do that with the old one :oops:, you can do it with this one too:

//www.diynot.com/diy/search/?type=post

You have poster filter / title or title and body /newer than (date filter) / sub-forum filter / order by relevance or time.

Back