Make 1 switch operate 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Our toilet was separated from the bathroom with a partition wall. This has been removed. However there are now 2 switches for 2 lights. Can someone tell me how to eliminate one of these switches? As one is a wall mounted switch and the other is a "pull string type" which would be safer for the bathroom. I can't afford to call an electrician otherwise I would. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is there a loft above??

Assuming there is - this is easy, and you should be able to determine from the For Referece section how to do it.

The easiest way (although not the most professional) would be to take the cable that goes to the wall switch, and pull it back up into the loft, and connect it in parallel to the pull switch cable, inside the pullswitch.

The best way is to remove the wall switch and cable, joint the cables from light that was operated by this switch, and then run a new piece of cable from one light to the other (using what you take out possibly).

You don't mention a fan? If there is one, this will also need consideration.

On a side note, I will mention Part P, and trust you will comply ;)

Lectrician said:
Is there a loft above??

The easiest way (although not the most professional) would be to take the cable that goes to the wall switch, and pull it back up into the loft, and connect it in parallel to the pull switch cable, inside the pullswitch.
what exactly is unproffessional about this method?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back