Make a bay window curtain pole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a 4m bay, with 4 bends

Screenshot_20201217-214517_Drive.jpg

Wife doesnt like any of the off the shelf bay curtain pole kits and would like a wooden one.

Tracks are not an option, as we are wanting to remove the old plastic ones.

I can only find 2 places selling wood bay poles . One doesnt display prices, the other quote was £450.

How difficult would it be to make one? I can buy cheap wood poles and cut mitres and form the shape. Joining them will be tricky, guessing ill need to bend threaded double ended screws to the correct angle to join them.

Bad idea? Any better ideas?

Sponsored Links
Curtains are intended for 3 fixing points. You need at least 6 unless you use sky hooks .

You misunderstood, the £400 ones are 3 fixing points with mitre joins as the 4 bends...

Sponsored Links
I know its not easy.

I can cut the mitres, its the joining I'm seeking advice on, in case there's a better way I can think, which would involve bending a threaded metal pin to the correct angle .

Jacko
I would not consider using wood sections as the screws would not hold, and the lack of curve would make opening curtains impossible.

I did consider this for a bay window.
But did not take it forward (even though I had the tools) as I was concerned that only three fixing points to the ceiling would not take the weight of the curtains, the pull load when drawn and the extra load from the friction of the rings.

My thought was to use 15mm or 22mm copper pipe, bent using a pipe bending tool.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/pipe-benders/cat831338
And then possibly filling the pipe with two-part resign to minimise flex (when only having 3 foxing points).

And then hold this all up with three x "15mm pipe bracket"
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-mu...-28mm-35mm-42mm-54mm-Pipe-Clips-/233202003076

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
At it's most basic, dowel screws might work? But you'd have to do some tests and predrill pilot holes at the correct angle. Then spin one part to the other, hopefully getting it to line up. Does it have to be invisible?

Couldn't you use screws from the rear? Plus another from the top?

If that doesn't work then what I'd look into would be creating a slot in the top of the assembled rail.so something could be dropped in and bolted up like a worktop join? Plus a **** load of glue/mitre compound

At some point the rail has to be fixed to the window frame/wall/ceiling.
Is there some way of creating brackets that incorporate the angle ?
I'd buy a bit of plastic pipe and cut it up to get some ideas.

If you want to use metal tube, there are manufactured bends that are like a bendy map light? Sort of a spring like device that stays where you want it. You could find some metal that's the correct external dimension to be a close internal fit for your tube and bend it. Then mitre, and use epoxy or a glue that I can't quite remember that works well for this sort of thing.

With a bit of imagination, this would work for wood, drilling a close fit and drilling the metal rod for a screw though into the wood.

I think track is the only sensible solution. I originally fitted a brass rail around, then later a plastic one bent to fit with boiling water. Now we have blinds at each of the windows and a purely decorative curtain on a single pole across the straight inner wall.

Three supports with those bends, simply will not work.

Curtain rings with a slot cut out of the top, to pass through fixings from pole to ceiling? Then you can have as many fixings to the ceiling as you like. No idea how well this would work [if at all]. A lot of work to avoid having a track, though.

We fitted a corded track into a bay using this https://www.sg-s.co.uk/complete-sys...0-white-up-to-250cm-complete?dsort=sort_order

Obviously different lengths, bends etc. available Expensive but brilliant and works perfectly Approx £400 all in.

To measure it accurately we put a timber across the bay resting on the picture rail and I set up a pin in the middle and then with a laser measure, measured all the distances from the pin. You have to be super accurate because there is almost no give. When it arrived the bracket screws fitted exactly.

This is a case of measure 50 times, and cut once!

Worth every penny.

These are all great ideas.
Wifey is chief though.
She's leaning towards a premade metal jobbie with the hoops woth holes (like Cs) so 5 fixings wont get in the way.
So many things to do here, she may have to settle and redeploy my energy elsewhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back