Make a mitre saw cut metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've just bought myself a Lincoln Electric Power MIG 180 and want to start working with it ASAP but I've realised that cutting angle iron, etc neatly and quickly doesn't really happen with a hacksaw.

So I'm now also looking to buy something to do that job too. I do love my power tools but I'm limited on space so I wondered if there was a way to make a mitre saw cut metal.

I've seen the range of Rage saws that claim they can so I thought that maybe if I used a specific blade and reduced the rpm I could accomplish this with a regular mitre saw.

Any thoughts? Should I just fork out for a proper cut off saw and save my limbs? Or is this idea actually possible?

Cheers

Lenny

Sponsored Links
The rage evo saws are very good for the money, but if you're on a budget then there isn't much you cant do with an adjustable square, some engineers chalk and a little disc cutter.

poor - do you own an angle grinder? If so get angle grinder stand from Axminster - it converts your AG into a cut off machine. I've got one for my 230mm AG (cost £30) but they also do a stand for small AGs (£18 ). Factor-in the cost of the metal-cutting disks (not grinding) which are inexpensive (say £1 for 115mm £2 for 230mm each). Both sizes have clamping vice (swivels for angles) - my 9"er chops through 2" galvanised pipe a treat ... excellent value for money. If you've got alot of chopping to do consider getting a dedicated 230mm AG and leave it in the stand and have a small AG handy for de-burring.

If you haven't got an AG and you're on a budget get a cheapo.

www.axminster.co.uk

Do not attempt to convert your mitre saw to cut metal as the peripheral speed will be wrong

Sponsored Links
That Bosch jobby is designed to fit into a metal cut-off saw (like a woodworking compound mitre but for metal) which run at a slower speed than the wood ones (appox ½); that's why it's marked-up with max 3000rpm (most wood tackle runs at 4000 - 6700). Also the bore size is odd for wood ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back