make this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20210208_190457.jpg
I have got this cable that i have pulled up through the trunking from downstairs. It was connected to a wired in door bell.

The cable looks like it goes through through into the bathroom. Lifting the floor in the bathroom is not an option, i've only laid new flooring last year and not ripping it up.

I have temporarily put the cables into a terminal block.

Is there any way that i can make this permanently safe (it will be kept under the floor boards)

thanks

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have any exposed copper like you have there.

That amount of copper can be touched far too easily.

You could fit a 20amp junction box on, making sure the coloured wires are fully within the box.

Then chuck it under the floor as you suggest.

Or if you can be bothered, trace where it goes, and fully disconnect. (But a junction box on the end of it will at least make it safe if there is doubt how to fully disconnect it from where it comes from.)

Last edited:
Failing that buy a Maintenance free junction box and Terminate it.

Sponsored Links
A wired door bell is usually around 8 volts. So apart from looks not really anything to worry about.

No but it's going under the floor and needs to be terminated, so maintenance free is what I'd use John Winston.

No but it's going under the floor and needs to be terminated, so maintenance free is what I'd use John Winston.

Could you send me a link to an appropriate maintenance free J-box? I don't know which ones to get

No but it's going under the floor and needs to be terminated, so maintenance free is what I'd use
Fair enough, but 'maintenence-free' is not required by regs in that situation and nor, I would say, is there any common-sense reason why it is be necessary.
John Winston.
I'm not sure I'm very happy about such an association!

Kind Regards, John

:p Yeah sorry, but if you're going to quote a post of mine or disagree at least post an alternative and what you'd use.

:p Yeah sorry, but if you're going to quote a post of mine or disagree at least post an alternative and what you'd use.
I would use anything that would effectively prevent the conductors coming into contact - and that could be achieved by mechanical separation without any terminals ('maintenance-free' or not) at all.

In practice, I would probably use whatever JB came to hand, and probably would use its terminals as a means of 'anchoring' the conductors and preventing them coming in contact - but I probably wouldn't even bother to strip the conductors - I would probably simply tighten the screws onto their insulation!

I was really just 'reacting' to the (seemingly 'knee jerk') implication that "because it's inaccessible, it has to be an 'MF' junction box", without regard to the fact that it was not going to contain any electrical 'connections'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back