Wired Ring Door Bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently purchased the Wired Ring Door Bell. Ideally the transformer should be placed in the CU but i have no space left in mine plus house is all tiled flooring and wires all hidden.... will work out costly to get the wiring to the door bell.

I have a option but need advice to ensure its ok/safe....

In the porch there used to be 2 lights on 2 different switches/cables. I had changed the lights to LED and only using one switch/cable now. The other switch/cable was secured and closed up. These cables are 1.5mm and wired/coming from a 5 Amp circuit breaker in the CU.

Would it be safe to use the closed up wire already in the porch and connect to the Ring Door Bell transformer? Will is still get the power it requires?

I have bought a DIN single module for the transformer to make it accessible and tidy.

Attachments

• 20180426_172620.jpg
    20180426_172620.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 359
Sponsored Links
Why not just buy a wireless one and be done with it. A lot less aggro.

Ideally the transformer should be placed in the CU
Only if you consider a troublesome and costly space ideal. (And that's irrespective of any external wiring issues such as yours).

Would it be safe to use the closed up wire already in the porch and connect to the Ring Door Bell transformer?
Yes, as long as you do it safely.

Will is still get the power it requires?
Yes, as long as it has a permanent live, not a switched one. How did it used to be connected to switches and light?

Sponsored Links
Thanks (ban-all-sheds) much appreciated.

The closed wire is actual on a lighting circuit that had 2 Light fittings in the porch. The 2 new LED lights/bulbs are now just on one switch now so had closed the 2nd wire off. This had its own separate switch that can be reconnected to be permanent.

Yes all work will be carries out safely, DIY I am very hands on plus minor electrical work. I just wanted to double check on this before commencing forwarded.

Just to clarify, the Lighting Circuit is on a 5amp fuse in the CU.

Because you should never, ever, ever use wireless anything if wired is an option.
Any reason for this or just your point of view? Maybe I should change my house phone to hard wired, chase out my wall for my bell wire, get some hardwire adaptors for my iPads, iPhones, kindles, Fire TV, android pad, PC, Printer, Hive, CCTV and noise cancelling headphones plus carry a pocket of coins for when I'm out and need to make a call. :rolleyes:

Any reason for this

My reason for avoiding wireless when fixed wiring will suffice is that there is a point when the few licence exempt channels will be overloaded and systems using them will become un-reliable.

Maybe I should change my house phone to hard wired

Does your house phone work during a power cut ? A few people only discover this quirk of wireless handsets when they try to report a power cut.

A land line with an "old fashioned" POTS phone will work during a power cut.

( POTS = Plain Old Telephone System )

Any reason for this or just your point of view? Maybe I should change my house phone to hard wired, chase out my wall for my bell wire, get some hardwire adaptors for my iPads, iPhones, kindles, Fire TV, android pad, PC, Printer, Hive, CCTV and noise cancelling headphones plus carry a pocket of coins for when I'm out and need to make a call. :rolleyes:
Or maybe you could apply some common sense when trying to understand "if wired is an option".

Consider which things you carry about from one place to another, and which things you do not.

Maybe I should change my house phone to hard wired,
For the reason Bernard quoted, should have at least one wired one. You'll probably find that advice in the installation instructions for your cordless ones. Ideally have as many as you can wired, and restrict cordless to the ones where that really is a genuine significant advantage, e.g. a lounge where you'd want to sit on the sofa and not have a trip-hazard cable snaking across the room.​

chase out my wall for my bell wire,
Unless you are in the habit of moving the bell-push and/or the sounder from one place to another all the time, then yes, of course.​

get some hardwire adaptors for my iPads, iPhones, kindles,
Unless you tend to use them in one or a very small number of fixed locations for a significant amount of time that would not make much sense.​

Unless you are in the habit of carting the TV it is plugged into from one place to another all the time, then yes, of course. AIUI the device has an ethernet port.​

android pad,
Unless you tend to use it in one or a very small number of fixed locations for a significant amount of time that would not make much sense.​

Unless you are in the habit of carting the PC from one place to another all the time, then yes, of course.​

Unless you are in the habit of carting the printer from one place to another all the time, then yes, of course.​

Unless you are in the habit of moving the Hive from one place to another all the time, then yes, of course.​

Unless you are in the habit of moving the camera(s) and any associated recording equipment from one place to another all the time, then yes, of course.​

and noise cancelling headphones
Is it even an option there, no matter how static the position in which you wear them?​

All stupid and pointless responses. Wireless is a modern convenience and it suits me and most people fine. You stick with your hard wires if it makes you feel better. I'm sure the old pensioner across the road can call the electricity company if my electric was ever to go and my mobile wouldn't work but then again the whole street will be in the same position as me so what benefits will I get for having a hard wired phone - a quicker repair?

Anyway, when they did eventually get around to arriving and ringing my bell, I'd be able to hear them and let them in. You, with your hardwired bell would miss 'em!

All stupid and pointless responses.
No, all well-thought out, analytical, reasoned ones.

Stupid is the term for a closed-minded refusal to actually put some effort into proper thinking and analysis.

Wireless is a modern convenience and it suits me and most people fine.
Until it stops working because of over-use occasioned by using it unnecessarily.

Hi, in answer to the OP's post, yes that sounds like a good solution the 5a mcb is fine for the wiring to your transformer.

Thanks,

Dave

Would it be safe to use the closed up wire already in the porch and connect to the Ring Door Bell transformer? Will is still get the power it requires?

I read that as possibly the OP is thinking of using the bell push to switch the mains supply to the transformer. ( I have seen that done ) That is not a good idea and with most door bell push buttons it could be potentially very dangerous

The existing cable could be used to connect the bell push into the ELV ( Extra Low Voltage less than 50 volts ) circuit of

|----- transformer secondary ---------------- Bell push----------------Bell-----|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back