Making a gate?

Sponsored Links
By the time you posted this you could've cut all the timber by hand.
Seriously, unplug that saw and sell it.

its worth pointing out this thread is now over 2 years old so "urgent " warning will be too late but well worth repeating for others thinking off using a saw in such a fashion (y)

Last edited:
This isn't really a gate just to block off a gap but same principle. I had to join a small bit of decking to a longer bit so I put a piece horizontal to brace it then a diagonal bit. How do you cut the diagonal bit perfectly? I placed piece where I wanted it to go. I then marked with a pencil where to cut it. Is that the way? The angle is never exactly 45 degrees so free hand it with chop saw lining it up

View attachment 177425 View attachment 177426 View attachment 177427 View attachment 177428

This was awhile back and not sure if I actually cut without wood pushed against fence or just asked the question. How about if wood is pushed against fence but saw NOT locked in ?

Think saw locks into 45 degrees and another angle. Sometimes an angle of say 33 degrees needs cutting. The blade ISN'T locked in but wood is pushed against fence and held in place with hand (if small piece of wood to stop it flying out).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This was awhile back and not sure if I actually cut without wood pushed against fence or just asked the question. How about if wood is pushed against fence but saw NOT locked in ?
No, you plonked the wood on top of the fence and made a cut - that's why there is a score on top of the timber at an acute angle to the edge of the timber. Look at the position of the blade relative to the score line in the top of the wood

How Not to Use a Chop Saw.jpg

I think it's called a smoking gun

Think saw locks into 45 degrees and another angle. Sometimes an angle of say 33 degrees needs cutting. The blade ISN'T locked in but wood is pushed against fence and held in place with hand (if small piece of wood to stop it flying out).
Assuming that is a DW712, your saw has mitre detentes at 10°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.62° and 45° both left and right, and at 50° left and 60° right. Intermediate angles have no detentes but the lever at the front will still lock the mitre angle just the same. The mitre and bevel angles aren't locked you are courting am accident.

And now the gate "problem". The one at the start of this littany is just plain wrong, as though someone has tried to combine a ledged, braced and framed door with a ledged gate. A true ledged gate has either two or three cross bars (or "ledges") joining the "splats" (boards), but as others have said this results in a gate which is liable to sag over time, so the normal way to deal with this is to put three ledges across with two diagonals. The diagonals always run from bottom (hinge side) to top (latch side) and you always put two of them on there:

Ledged and Braced Gate 1.jpg

Normally the ledges are set in from the edges of the two outer most boards by 4 to 5mm and the ends are chamfered with a big 3 to 5mm chamfer. The diagonals are very easily marked - all you do is mark an inset point, say 25mm in from the ends of the ledges and offer a diagonal onto those points. Mark where the diagonal bisects the ledges at top and bottom, draw a line between the two marks at each end of the diagonal then saw it. A hand saw will do just fine. Sorry @opps but there isn't any need for pythagoras or any other mathematician to get involved. Simple set-out works a lot better and is far easier on the old grey matter, well my grey matter, anyway

BTW the assembly jig is handy if doing multiples.

If you want to get really fancy, for greater durability the top edges of the ledges should really be planed to a 5 to 10° slope to encourage standing water to run off whilst all sharp edges (arrises) should be smoothed over either with sand paper or a quick whizz over with a block plane - paint and stains tends to run away from arrises leading to a thinner coating at that point, and therefore less protection

Last edited by a moderator:
its the 18v dewalt dcs 365 j&k but has the same lock positions + 50 left and 60 right mitre capacity (y)

Yes. Very similar. Looked up the manuals for both and the chassis appears nearly identical on the two of them

half the weight thought (y)
the handle on the top and bed is the easy way off telling the 18v is "portable"

No, you plonked the wood on top of the fence and made a cut - that's why there is a score on top of the timber at an acute angle to the edge of the timber. Look at the position of the blade relative to the score line in the top of the wood

View attachment 256936

I think it's called a smoking gun

Assuming that is a DW712, your saw has mitre detentes at 10°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.62° and 45° both left and right, and at 50° left and 60° right. Intermediate angles have no detentes but the lever at the front will still lock the mitre angle just the same. The mitre and bevel angles aren't locked you are courting am accident.

it's DSC 365 (18V BATTERY)-

(Don't think it can be locked at every angle but I'll double check.)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...MJ4aT4v4FJjgsyjoXOhoCdlQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
the knob you push down to move it round tightens by rotating clockwise to lock in any position without a lock notch
you just select the degree required and tighten the knob

This knob will tighten at any angle?
20220109_224402.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back