Making a wooden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front gate is long overdue for an upgrade... that is from nothing! :LOL:

I was looking into building a wooden one, the size of the entrance is about 3 foot wide. Now I want a hard wearing external type of timber to use but not sure what would be best to use? What will be required to treat it once completed?

Also any ideas of a sturdy design? Is there some sample ones that you guys recommend. I could copy the old design which were just lengths of timber with one diagonal piece and two horizontal pieces to hold the whole thing together.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Copying the original design would be easiest method. You could probably do it in a hardwood for not that much money. Meranti is one that's been recommended to me in the past by local timber place.

However, softwood lasts many years anyway if treated.

Although it's easier to work with, and also get usable dimensions from planed (PAR) timber (untreated). Even then, a good quality preservative and regular painting every couple of years will ensure a good lifespan. I'd recommend buying a tin of cuprinol shed & fence, and literally dunking the whole completed gate overnight. Then top up coats by brushing on every year or so.

Is the post still there or is it going onto a wall? If a new post is required get a 4" one at least, and bury it as deep as you can with concrete, about 30" should do it.

Do an eBay or Google images search for 'garden gate' if you need design inspiration.

OK cheers for that very helpful. Will check the local timber yard to see what they got. How much should I be looking to spend for some hardwood maybe even oak? as a rough estimate?

Using 1x6" boards. It will be fixed to a wall so two studs on each side of the wall say 2x4"
The gate frame will be more 2x4". Its got to be 6 foot high so a fair amount of timber!

Timber prices vary, as you described a front gate I assumed it would be short, 6ft is a fair amount of wood so I'd stick with softwood if I were you.

3x2 will suffice for the frame, in any case 2" thick framing might look a bit brutish. Get 3½ x 1½ if possible. 6x1 will be fine for the verticals, if they are butted up, if you intend to leave space in between, (recommended for windy areas) then 4x1 or 3x1 will look better.

If you don't have a planer then a good timber supplier should stock it,or size it up for you.

If you don't have a good timber supplier, then Wickes are having a special this week on 2.4m 36x88mm treated planed lengths. 5 for the price of 4, that would build you a gate plus the uprights.

Here is a useful step-by-step.

Sponsored Links
OK cheers, think I will stick to the softwood and like you say if treated properly should last long enough. There are a couple of timber yards where I live so will see what kind of deal they can do.

Also I'm assuming stainless steel screws are in order, any recommendations from the screwfix range?

Not strictly speaking, BZP or galvanized fixing will last the distance unless you are coastal. Use their sheradised 50mm annular ring nails to fix the palings to the frame. With a weensy pilot hole before hammering them in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back