How to make a Gate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a back gate making, and I don't have funds, so I have been given some wood sized pieces of wood. ie planks of wood. Unfortunately they are too short.

So traditionally, use correct size pieces of wood, straps across, in a vertical manner, with a cross beam? I'm guessing here!

So how to make the available materials, 4 foot, into a 6 foot gate? to make a solid gate??

I considered crossbeams, or a cottage door style type gate, you are the experts. I have the materials, and restricted by them, what can I do?

Sponsored Links
I do quite a lot of gate making for friends and family - once they know you can do it, word gets round!

Try this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWok7I7WgE

A reasonable good explanation of Ledge and Brace doors and how they work.

Not sure I can help with your timber situation, I mostly buy new if I don't have what I need in the garage roof.

We might need more information if we are to come up with some sort of cutting plan. For instance, length and widths...

Just made a cheapy for a friend with no money, used pallet timber from a plasterboard pallet, all boards are 8ft long.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, something seems to be lost in translation here?

I need a back yard gate, in the style of a gate, NOT for a car access, otherwise I might have mentioned that. Gate shaped gate.

The wood that I have is 4 foot tall, I need it to be door sized, say 6 feet tall? Maybe 3 feet across, Due to the nature of it being a gate.

How do I make the 4 foot planks into a solid 6 feet height effectively? I even made the suggestion myself of a cottage door style opening gate as a solution, but would prefer a solid 6 feet gate, of normal width, and standard height and be a normal gate??

Is that too much to ask? I thought people that make gates could work that one out. :)

I need it to be door sized, say 6 feet tall?

that's why I thought a second-hand front door would suit you, like it does me, for my side way.

Never mind.

Why would ANYONE use a second hand Front door, as a back gate?

I live in a rural area, in this area, and all my life, back gates to private gardens, generally tend to be made of wooden planks.....not uPVC double glazed doors??? Where is your thinking from? :oops:

I thought people that make gates could work that one out.

They have they use the correct size timber.
:eek:

I need a back gate making, and I don't have funds, so I have been given some wood sized pieces of wood. ie planks of wood. Unfortunately they are too short.

So traditionally, use correct size pieces of wood, straps across, in a vertical manner, with a cross beam? I'm guessing here!

So how to make the available materials, 4 foot, into a 6 foot gate? to make a solid gate??

I considered crossbeams, or a cottage door style type gate, you are the experts. I have the materials, and restricted by them, what can I do?

How about:

Lay out three ledges (the cross beams to which you refer), and fix the planks to them diagonally?

Cheers
Richard

That would look nice - I might try that next time round myself...

But - wouldn't laying everything on the diagonal use more timber? I didn't think the OP had that much to play with.

How about:

Lay out three ledges (the cross beams to which you refer), and fix the planks to them diagonally?

Cheers
Richard

Because - if I did so, I would have a 4 foot tall gate(!) or a wonky 8 foot gate, because 2 lots of 4 foot long pieces of wood would not be sufficiently supported?

Or make two 4 foot gates, as a traditional gate, then bolt them together ie cottage door style, which I mentioned origionally?

How about:

Cheers
Richard

Because - if I did so, I would have a 4 foot tall gate(!) or a wonky 8 foot gate, because 2 lots of 4 foot long pieces of wood would not be sufficiently supported?

Or make two 4 foot gates, as a traditional gate, then bolt them together ie cottage door style, which I mentioned origionally?

I'm not sure you are understanding the nice Mr Hamster's suggestion. Laying the facing diagonally across three ledges would allow good use of 4' lengths and would allow sensible joins to be made to arrive at a 6' height. If all you have is 4' lengths, you will never make a 6' gate without joins, laying the lengths diagonally will allow you to stagger the joins, although the short, opposing corners might be an issue.

You could also place your ledges at 2' and 4' which would allow you to stagger the joins across the horizontal, but you would need to put a top bar and bottom bar in order to give the short lengths (2') some support, particularly if you are not using T&G.

This really isn't that difficult a mathematical problem... I would invest in a pencil and re-use an old envelope from Barclaycard to draw out some designs, all will become clear.

nice attitude. want to use scrap wood the wrong size and come on here demanding a solution because you can't think of one yourself.

No disrespect whatsoever, Mr Tolkien but tanalised timber is available from the gardening section of the big sheds as 'gravel boards'.
Buy a couple of 12' lengths, cut them in half, and use your existing materials to add battens and braces across the gate. Correctly, the braces rise diagonally up from the hinges.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back