Making a well-insulated case for a HW cylinder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have set up a new 160 litre copper cylinder (thanks Ebay!) in the attic plumbed in tandem with the existing cylinder, the intention is to fit a solar panel next spring (Vridian Solar) and run it through the coil to pre-heat the water entering the existing cylinder.

I have deliberately left the connections to the new cylinder long so as to leave space for some really good insulation. The cylinder is already lagged but once it is heated I don't want to be losing any therms.

I thought of constructing a box out of light timber covered in plywood, then lining the inside with Kingspan or a similar insulating sheet and finally stuffing the whole thing with glass wool. It needs to be able to be opened at the front for when I connect to the coil and for any thermostats, which may need to be strapped to the cylinder.

Anybody got any suggestions or thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Use the thick BS foam lagging on all pipes

Instead of fibreglass, I recently tried some white insulation from B&Q, it is some kind of recyclycled plastic wool and is much more pleasant to handle - no fibres or dust in your skin, eyes or throat. It is sold as loft insulation and is packed like the fibreglass. You can cut it with big scissors (it does not saw easily)

I would have thought you could make the enclosure out of Kingspan without needing a wooden shell, unless you are planning to handle it roughly.

maybe you could put a strap round it, and, for access, just undo its belt.

Great, thanks, I had considered that as well but have never handled Kingspan so am unfamiliar with the way it behaves!

Will have a look for the insulation you mention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back