Making/adapting exhaust system to fit?

I in the days before cats have tried to repair and adapt exhaust pipes, it does depend on the engine, two stoke motorcycles were a real challenge as had to be a set length to get the engine to work well, but four stoke much easier, the challenge was when baffles damaged, and the police don't like the use of cables as in the buccaneer exhaust to by-pass baffles with leaver on handle bars.

But it is that back pressure today which is so important for the modern engine management to work. Morris Minor no problem, but modern cars there is a limit what can be done.

Sponsored Links
I in the days before cats have tried to repair and adapt exhaust pipes, it does depend on the engine, two stoke motorcycles were a real challenge as had to be a set length to get the engine to work well, but four stoke much easier, the challenge was when baffles damaged, and the police don't like the use of cables as in the buccaneer exhaust to by-pass baffles with leaver on handle bars.

But it is that back pressure today which is so important for the modern engine management to work. Morris Minor no problem, but modern cars there is a limit what can be done.
Very true. We adapt cars at work, often altering exhaust systems, and keeping the backpressure similar to OE is absolutely essential, for a variety of reasons.

You’ll only succeed with brazing if you have oxy acetylene gear, Freddy.....nothing else gets hot enough but MIG welding is good too.
If you can get the gear, use brass brazing spelter and Sifbronze flux that’s pink in colour. The metal needs to be orange hot!
John
Probably tig brazing with silicon bronze rods
Nice process as with gas brazing lower temperature so less distortion on thin metal and of course you can join dissimilar metals.

Sponsored Links
Yep, great if you have the TIG kit.....which I don't :cry:
Not worth investing in that now, getting too old!
John :)

Probably tig brazing with silicon bronze rods
Nice process as with gas brazing lower temperature so less distortion on thin metal and of course you can join dissimilar metals.
Thanks - I fancy a go at that. Might keep my eye out for a second hand one.

Back