making an opening in a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a detached tomber framed 3 bed house built about 10 years ago I would like to make an opening in with was the back wall of the garage (now converted) the wall has a floor joist running above it (NOT 90 degrees on to it(supporting wall style)) I i need to take the second timber away I've been told by my joiner this should be ok but would like some reasurance. He thinks that the floor joist will be supported by a hanger and the fact I'm only wanting to remove 1 timer should be fine!! any thoughts please??

Thanks Tony

Sponsored Links
I would imagine the first floor joists are fixed to a stout timber ring beam that is unlikely to deflect across a standard door opening. I guess you will need to trim out the opening with uprights anyhow.

Go for it.

You probably need to put in a couple of cripple studs and make a lintel on top of the studs from 2 lengths of 200x50. As stated in the last post the joists should be resting on a ring beam or head binder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back