Making extensions for workstations + front door motion sensor light

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need 2 bits of advice...

Firstly, I have a room where I have 4 desks all next to each other. Each desk needs to have plug sockets. At least 2 sockets are needed. Would prefer to have 3.

My idea was to have trunking go along the all and above or below have switched plug extensions.

I would have preferred to have something neater. Like could I make actual plus that have a wire that plugs into the current sockets? (I didn't want to mess around with the electrics + I didn't want to have live wires stuck to the wall even if covered by trunking).

Any suggestions?

Secondly... a similar question. We need a motion sensor for the front door. I was thinking of drilling a hole and buying a motion sensor unit and plugging into a socket and hiding wires with trunking.

Any other suggestions? Like maybe solar powered ones? I thought these might not be good. But there is one on Amazon that I found with fairly good reviews and low price.

And... actually... 3rdly... where should I buy trunking from? I was going to go with screwfix - but the seem to be expensive. Any other places?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I need 2 bits of advice...

Firstly, I have a room where I have 4 desks all next to each other. Each desk needs to have plug sockets. At least 2 sockets are needed. Would prefer to have 3.

My idea was to have trunking go along the all and above or below have switched plug extensions.

I would have preferred to have something neater.
Sounds like they are all against a wall, so dado trunking would be ideal. If you get multi-compartment stuff (2- or more) you can also put phone and data sockets in it.

Like could I make actual plus that have a wire that plugs into the current sockets?
I have no idea what that means.

(I didn't want to mess around with the electrics + I didn't want to have live wires stuck to the wall even if covered by trunking).
There is nothing wrong with dado trunking - there are millions of miles of it in offices all over the world.

Any suggestions?
1760373_efbbf8767f.jpg

Dado trunking.

Secondly... a similar question. We need a motion sensor for the front door. I was thinking of drilling a hole and buying a motion sensor unit and plugging into a socket and hiding wires with trunking.

I didn't want to have live wires stuck to the wall even if covered by trunking

In any event, cables through walls with plugs on is dog rough.

But there is one on Amazon that I found with fairly good reviews and low price.
Amazon is full of cheap products with good reviews. Often the reviews are unreliable.

And... actually... 3rdly... where should I buy trunking from? I was going to go with screwfix - but the seem to be expensive. Any other places?
I think you may have an unrealistic expectation of what things should cost. Screwfix are hardly known for being a high-price retailer.

screwfix - but the seem to be expensive.
What price did you have in mind?

It's a question I used to ask my customers when they thought my quote was excessive. Sometimes they had an unrealistic or outdated price in mind.

Whilst it probably can be had cheaper, I struggle to understand how 70p/m for 16mm, or 90p/m for 25mm, can be considered expensive.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the awesome replies guys. u helped me decide what to buy.

dado looks awesome. a little too much. don't need that sophistication.

25mm for 90p is super cheap.
i was being greedy and wanted 50mm x 25mm.

i think i'll be ok with 38mm x 25mm. only problem is bends in the wire. else 16mm would have been fine.

when you jump to 50mm the prices hike up. not meaning to be penny pinching or anything.
i can't find the angle pieces. else would have gone for these.

the best price i found was on cpc farnell - delivered price is cheaper than screwfix.

my next business venture will be to sell angle pieces for trunking - i don't get how they get away for charging so much!

In any event, cables through walls with plugs on is dog rough.
how is it OK to have a wire connected to mains OK and plugged in not OK?
let me know. thanks.

What do you mean by "a wire connected to mains"?
i have a motion sensor on my garage. when the builders built it... they added... all i know is that i have an on off switch. there's no other cables anywhere to be seen. so i assume it's directly connected to the mains.

i was asking about getting a motion sensor plugged into a wall socket. then drilling through a hole in the wall.and fixing the motion sensor on the outside of the wall. you said that wasn't a good idea?

I suspect the OP is talking about a PIR-controlled light.

Kind Regards, John
Yes. That's all I need. :)

I had a look on youtube and can't find any socket plugins?
How come?

Last edited:
I suspect we're talking about a PIR light which comes with a cable and a plug (that can be 'plugged in'), but I doubt they exist, not the least because the required cable length would vary so much.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back