Making external door frame bigger to fit smaller door. Doh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For whatever reason (either I gave the wrong code or I lost my mind when I measured), the new external door that I ordered is shy some 40mm wide and 20mm high of the door frame. :oops:

The question I have is ... Can I make the door frame smaller to fit the door?

The door is 762x1981mm

The frame 810x2020mm

I'm so annoyed with myself I feel like banging in a couple of lengths of 2by1 and have done with it. :evil:

However, I'm liittle concerned if I add to the frame whether it will support the weight of the door.

Someone else suggested that I should add to the door but I am reluctant as it would void the warranty and I'm pretty sure it would be noticible.

What do you folks think?

Any suggestions about the type of wood + dimensions and how it should be fixed, would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Will probably look crap but you might get away with it if you're a bit clever and can disguise it. Were you to fix through a widened bit you'd need longer screws too. I'd also go with hardwood for durability and strength.

No actually I'd go and order the right size in the first place. :LOL:

This may not be possible; But If you can take the door frame apart and reassemble to a size to suite the door. Then you can add the necessary packing to the rear of the frame, you can then apply cover mouldings to disguise the joints. I will do a drawing if you let me have your email address.

Thanks for the offer awbcm but I'm looking for an easy fix, and I'm really not confident about taking out the door frame.

The door frame already looks pretty rubbish anyway. Deluks what do you mean by "Were you to fix through a widened bit you'd need longer screws too"

Maybe it is better to make the door bigger I found this article http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,1531722-2,00.html

:(

Sponsored Links
The best option is to fix some plant on timber to the door sides and top. Biscuit, (hidden) screw or rebate these in and glue them.

You don't really want to narrow the frame opening

But, TBH, you are wasting your time and what ever you try and do, its going to be an ugly botch.

Bite the bullet, get a new door to the proper size and sell or dump the door.

Okay guys,

Thanks for all the replies, I decided to bite the bullet and dump the door its just not cost effective.

As they say in the movies "thats a wrap"

Thanks again.

i remember when i was cutting the bottom off one my doors, I chopped too much off and then had to glue it back on and try again. It's amazing what you can cover up with polyfilla!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back