Making good after having downlighters fitted from underneath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tradesman has just fitted downlights for me in my living room, and I said I would make good. I've attached a couple of pictures of the holes he has made.

In the past when I've had this done, my sparky cut circular holes into the ceiling and then drilled upwards through the joist and screwed the circular plasterboard back into place with a baton that was affixed to the circular cutout. However, this particular sparky has just cut rectangular holes and run the cable under the joist. He said he would clip the cable to the joist and then I can just easifill over the top of it.

This sounds odd to me - is it safe? Would the patched area crack over time from reverberations from the floor above? Should I be fitting a plasterboard, recessed into the hole (not sure how I'd screw it into the surrounds) and then easifill over the top of that?

On a separate note, one of the downlights has had a fair bit of the plasterboard damaged (there used to be a ceiling rose there so not surprised) so the light fitting sits recessed into the hole. I've attached a picture. Any idea how to make it flush with the ceiling?

The circuit is protected by RCD if that helps.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2731.JPG
    IMG_2731.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
In the first two pics you could push the cable to the side and screw in some plasterboard , cut to size, just below surface level; then use filler over the cable, again just below surface level, skimming over both after the repairs have dried.

Regarding the third picture, this company have produced an interesting "fix":

https://c-fix-downlighter.com/

Hope this helps.

Blup

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back