making good walls under bath after leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bit of a follow on from my other recent questions.

Bath had leaked for years and has damaged the plaster, boards and joist. Boards and joists are going to be fixed shortly but I'm not sure what to do with the walls. I was hoping just to make good these areas but now the bath has been removed I'm thinking it might need more. Where the water has been running there are channels and in one place its back to the brick.

The wall should be pretty dry as the leak round the bath was fixed a while back and the side panel was left off to allow air to circulate. There is a bath going back in the same place so it wont be exposed and the area above will be getting retiled so a perfect finish wouldn't be required, just a reasonable one.

Tiles will be coming off in the next day or two so I can see the state of the walls behind them.

So should I remove the plaster back to the brick below the top of the bath level?
If so then what prep is required to the bricks and what plaster should be used?

If not then should I just remove the loose stuff and patch? Again which plaster should be used?

Thanks in advance :)

will add pic when I get home.

Sponsored Links
Remove all the tiles first as this may well be the deciding factor on what you do next! It would be good to see some pics of the area once you’ve removed the tiles first before deciding the best course of action.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I'll get the time to remove the tiles until the weekend but I'll post pics once its done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back