Making Holes in Logs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a 200mm diamter circular hole in a long (height changes from 1m - 5m) 200mm round log, into the log 100mm deep, crossways, so that that log will fit ontop of another at a right angle to itself.

I have a building, which will be made of logs, walls only, and eventually will house (paying) guests. Most of the logs have this hole already, but the fatory sent some without holes, as they were confused.
I'm not about to send them back incuring a £5000, delivery charge, plus labour to get them to fix this mistake, as it is a long journey, and will probably be quicker if I can do it myself, saving myself some money and time.

Anyone have any ideas, and drawings?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an auger drill and chisel job. Got any pics?

Sounds like corner joints on a traditional log home

The easiest way is to lay one log onto the one you want the notch in and scribe the profile, hack out most of the waste with a saw then finish with a gouge or chisel. A chainsaw and SDS+ chisel will make the job easier.

You could also consider an arbortec type cutter in an anglegrinder.

Jason

Sponsored Links
After reading JB's reply I've realised, they are not holes are they? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back